chris
chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience

On a Ford Escape, my air bag warning light is now on. I had

Customer Question

On a Ford Escape, my air bag warning light is now on. I had to remove the steering wheel to get to a squeek in the column so I had to disconnect the air bag plug. I turned the key on while the air bag was disconnected. When I assembled the steering wheel I re connected the air bag plug and smaller two wire plug and made sure the ground wire was attached. How do I reset this light?
Category: Ford
Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.

Hi there

On this units air bag system , the air bag lamp will only come on when there is a problem NOW----so this means the systems sees a problem at this time ...if you unpluged the air bag and plugged it back in the air bag lamp would go off the next time you started the car----but a code would be set in its memory ----so there is a problem ...I need you to tell me the code --start the car up -the air bag lamp will come on to prove out ---then it will flash out a code -lets say its a 32 --the air bag lamp would flash three times ,then pause , then flash two times ,,,then there is a long pause and the code starts all over again ----so tell me the code and we will go from there

Chris

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Chris, I'll get the code and let you know.
Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.

OK

Chris

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello Chris,

The code that flashes is 46. 4 quick flashes followed by a short pause then 6 quick flashes followed by a long pause, then the sequence repeats over and over. Hope you can help. The air bag light did not flash until I disassembled the steering column so there was no prior problem. I suspect that because I had to turn the ignition switch on in order to rotate the steering column after the air bag plug was disconnected, that something in the control module sensed that their was something wrong in the air bag circuit when in fact, nothing is wrong. Can you tell me how to reset this light so it will stop flashing?

Thanks,

Jack
Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.
U20184519Passenger Side Crash Sensor Communications FaultGo To Pinpoint Test AA.
B18774626Driver Pretensioner Circuit OpenGo To Pinpoint Test AB.
B18854626Driver Pretensioner Circuit Resistance LowGo To Pinpoint Test AB.
B18814727Passenger Pretensioner Circuit OpenGo To Pinpoint Test AC.
B18864727Passenger Pretensioner Circuit Resistance LowGo To Pinpoint Test AC.

B2444

as you can see from the code list above , you did not cause this code ---you have a code for the L / F pretensioner ---or what you would know as the l/f seat belt buckle ...the escape is known for this code, due to the conector under the seat gets high resistanse ---what I do is cut the conector out of the system --there is a repaire kit for this from ford but is does not work most of the time ---so push the L/F seat all the way forward ,,then open the L/R door and look under the drivers seat , find the conector that has these two wires -LIGHT GREEN / BLACK and LIGHT GREEN / RED ----cut the conector off and solder the wires together --- this will take the conector and the high resistance out of the system ---then when you restart the car , then air bag lamp should be off

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Chris, I'll try your suggestion in the morning and get back with you. If this works, you're going to be my new best friend because I have a 98 Explorer that's giving me problems.
1. Power door lock continually stays in the locking mode as though I'm holding the lock button down even with the driver's side master switch disconnected. The only way I was able to get it to stop was to remove the fuse #18.
2. My A/C vents shifts to defrost mode whenever I'm going up hill, low manifold vacume, then switches back over to the A/C vents whenever manifold vacume returns when the throttle is only slightly open. I suspect a vacume leak somewhere in the system but don't know where to start looking.
So, start thinking about these questions and I'm happy to pay you for the answers as well if you can nail the right answers. Thanks Again.
Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.

Ok -- give me till tonight ---and I will get back to you

Chris

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We'll chat tomorrow after I've had a chance to try your suggested solution. Thanks again,

Jack
Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.

Ok - I have some info on that 98 Explorer,,,

for the power door lock system ---you have three power door lock switches --L/F , R/F and one in the far rear of the truck ( see pic)

graphic

In the past i have had problems with the power door lock switch in the far rear ,, the switch would short out due to water intrusion ,,so unplug the far rear switch and put your fuse back in place and see if stops doing what it was doing -----it it does not then you have to go to the R/F power door lock switch and unplug it ----if you find that it was the far rear switch ,, replace it and and rap it in plastic on the back side of the switch and tie it off with a tie strap

as for the vacuum leak --most vacuum leaks for the a/c system are in th engine compartment , due to heat and weather they tend to not last that long ,,, I have sent you a pic of the a/c vacuum lines that run outside into the engine compartment ,, there are three things to check ,, the main vacuum supply for the a/c vacuum is a thin black vacuum line on the pass side of the engine compartment that goes from the engine to the fire wall ,,,check this hose for cracks and or holes ,,, the other is the recirculatetion vacuum motor is outside in the engine compartment --it has a white vacuum hose to it ,,check that hose for leaks or holes ,,,the last thing is you should have a heater control valve on the heater hoses going to the heater core ,, on max a/c vacuum is sent hear to shut off hot coolant going to the heater core ,,,check this hose for holes or cracks

tell me what you get or if you need more info

Chris

graphic

Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.

I have sent you some more info about your Explorer --if you need more info just ask --if you are satisfied with my info , please hit the accept button

Chris

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello Chris,

No luck with your suggestion of cutting and spicing the two wires together under the seat. Yes, I was sure and got the right wires. Where can I go from here. Same sequence keeps coming up 46 over and over? Let me know, Jack.
Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.

You may have a bad ---pretensioner ( seat belt buckle ) it may have an open or to much resistance ---the fix I suggested is the most common repaire for this ,, but there are times when this does not work and the unit has to be replaced

Chris

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello Chris, If, by cutting the two wires you suggested and splicing them together, have I not already bypassed the seat belt buckle? If this is the case then what good would replacing the seat belt buckle do? Just trying to clarify. Thanks, Jack
Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.

Ok --ok- ok - there is the problem -----you ware suppose to just take the conector out of the cercut -----the conector has high resistance and causes the air bag lamp to come on -----so in other words make the wireing look like there was never a conector there ,,, do not bypass the hole seat belt buckle -----I probly did not explain it good ...

Chris

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Chris,

What I did was cut unplug the yellow connector under the seat that had the two light green wires as you described. I then cut off the connector on the wiring harness side, not the seat side, and spliced the two light green wires together, thus making it as though there was never a plug in the circuit. So I understood what you wanted me to do and did exactly that but the light still flashes the 46 code?

Let me know your thoughts, Thanks, Jack
Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.

OK --- what you did was wrong ,,,due to i did not explain it well --- you where suppose to make the wires go to the seat belt , but take the conector out of the system ,,you had a conector ,,,you unplug it ,,,now you have two connectors ,, cut both connectors off and connect the wires together so they still go to the seat belt

the conector going to the seat belt is bad ---we are takeing it out of the system ---but the wires still go to the seat belt

Chris

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Got it. I'll make the correction and let you know. Thanks for your patience. Jack
Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.

no, no , no thanks for your patience ---

Chris

chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello Chris,

Yes! I finally wired as you suggested and the light no longer flashes
any code. It goes out after a few seconds after the car is started.
You're very good. I haven't had time to check out your advise on the Explorer but will do that on the weekend and get back to you.
Thanks again for your prompt help.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello Chris, Yes! I finally wired as you suggested and the light no longer flashes any code. It goes out after a few seconds after the car is started. You're very good. I haven't had time to check out your advise on the Explorer but will do that on the weekend and get back to you. Thanks again for your prompt help.
Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.

Thats Great!!!!!!

ok - if you need any more help just ask

Chris

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello Chris,

I haven't had a chance to try your suggestion for tracking down the power door lock system yet but will do so this weekend. As regards XXXXX XXXXX on the A/C vacume leak, the diagram you sent me is for the 5.0 liter V8. I have a 4.0 OHV V6. Can you send me the vacume diagram for this engine and I'll check out your suggestion for finding the leak. Thanks again ever so much for your help. Jack
Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.

Ok

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX it our and get back with you. Jack
Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.

Ok

Chris

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello Chris, Sorry to bother you on a Sunday and hopefully you'll be there. On the 98 Explorer, I disconnected all three lock switches starting at the rear and then R/F then L/F. Still is stuck as though I had my finger on the lock button. Just keeps cycling trying to lock the car over and over again. I see on the wiring diagram you sent me that there seems to be a lock relay and an unlock relay. Is it possible that the lock relay has shorted and is stuck? If you think this is possible, can you tell me the location of these relays. I checked in the relay box under the hood but none of them are designated as to what they operate so I removed all the relays, one at a time, and put the fuse back in each time and the problem still exists. This tells me that the lock relay is not in the underhood fuse/relay box? Where can I find these relays and do you think this might be the problem? I'll take any ideas you might have. It's driving me crazy! Thanks, Jack
Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.

In the left rear of the truck there is an access panel for your jack -pop off the cover for this and there is a black relay box there for the power door locks

Chris

chris, Ford Mechanic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello Chris,

Sorry to take so long to get back to you but I haven't had a chance to get back to my Explorer door lock problem. I found the relay cluster in the back panel as you said and replaced both relays. Problem solved. It seems that the lock relay had malfunctioned and was stuck in the closed position. Thanks again for your prompt and very professional advise. I hope I can call on you in the future for additional Ford advise. Is there anyway for me to specify you as the expert that I would prefer for future problems?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello Chris, Sorry to take so long to get back to you but I haven't had a chance to get back to my Explorer door lock problem. I found the relay cluster in the back panel as you said and replaced both relays. Problem solved. It seems that the lock relay had malfunctioned and was stuck in the closed position. Thanks again for your prompt and very professional advise. I hope I can call on you in the future for additional Ford advise. Is there anyway for me to specify you as the expert that I would prefer for future problems?
Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.

You can pick a Ford tech to talk to in the beginning when you start your question or just let someone pick it up on there own, ,,,I am on and off this site every day ,,,, so when you see me on here just pick me out ---- But I must warn you I have been working for Ford for over 20 years and in that 20 years I have only done a/c , electrical and trim ,,,,,so if you have a power train question ,,,I would not be the best person to ask ,, I am Ford certified and ASE certified in all that stuff , but I have not touched it in a long time ..

Thanks again ,,,,,,,,Chris

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Chris, I still see that I have an answer to accept from you in my summary page? Do I still owe you for anything? I've accepted twice for your answers already. Let me know if I owe you anything additional. Thanks, Jack