chris
chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience
9504203

1997 ford f150 pickup: power window problem right nwindow..dome lights

Customer Question

I have a 1997 ford f150 pickup, having power window problem right nwindow goes down slowly left window does not work and dome lights flash
Category: Ford
Expert:  chris replied 8 years ago.

Hi there

need some info ---did all this happen at the same time ?

dome lamp flashing , can you explain this more ?????

have you had some heavy rain lately ???

Chris

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes it happenend all at the same time. When I push the drives side window switch to raise window the light in the doors and the dome lights flash. When I put passenger window down the door lights go on and grow dim the window also slows down. No heavy rain lately. When i unhook the drivers side windows switch the lights take off flashing also.
Expert:  chris replied 8 years ago.

This is a weird one---- but lets start with the ground for the system -G200-is located behind the r/side kick panle ( the kick panel is the panel your right foot would hit if you where sitting in the passenger seat ) remove that panel and you will find some wires bolted to the body (see pic)--make sure they are tight --put wrench on them and sintch the bolt down ---see if this makes a difference and we will go from there

Chris

graphic

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Connections are tight on g-200 problem still exists, could this be a relay issue also whith ignition key out and you press drivers window switch in the up postition dome light and door lights flash
Expert:  chris replied 8 years ago.

It could be a relay ??? this problem is not a normale one we see here at the dealer ---

When you say the dome lamp is flashing,,,do you mean its going on and off ,,,or just dimming ????

lets try this and see if this makes a difference ----on the interior fuse panel there is a relay called the ACC DELAY RELAY--- its the bottom one ( see pic)

graphic

remove this relay ,and look at the bottom of the relay ,,,there are numbers next to each pin on the relay like 85.86.87 and 30 ----i need you to use a jumper wire ( or a thin paper clip ) and jump ware pin 30 goes into the fuse panel to pin 87 goes in the fuse panel ---this will bypass the relay ---then test your windows and see if there is a difference

Chris

graphic

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Chris that was it thank you so much bad relay works with jumper
Expert:  chris replied 8 years ago.

I am not sure here -----dont get to excited ---- It may be that relay ,,,buts lets see ,,,the relay above the ACC DELAY RELAY is the ONE TOUCH RELAY ,,,,this relay is for the driver window going down, and its the same type of relay -----take that relay out and switch it to the ACC DELAY RELAY spot ( now this will make the drivers window not work ) but test the passengers side power window ,,and if works great then YES I would say that the ACC DELAY RELAY was bad ----tell me what you get

Chris

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to chris's Post: well i thought we had it fixed this morning its doing the same thing and i cant even jump it
\
Expert:  chris replied 8 years ago.

take another look of the pic of the fuse box---the battery saver relay is the second relay down ---the battery relay powers up the acc delay relay ---so now we have to jump it ---remove the battery relay and look at the bottom of the relay it has numbers on it like 1,2,3,4,5,----I need you to jump pin 3 to pin 5 with your paper clip and tell me if this clears up your problem

last time I talked to you I had a feeling that you had a bad GEM moduale,,,but you ran off and thought your truck was fixed ----lol

Chris

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Chris pulled and jumped 3 to 5 same issue still exists we thought the same thing and bought a new relay yesterday and still had this problem and decided to contact you no the less we just jumped 3 to 5 and issue still is there sorry about the confusion yesterday the truck is actualy my brothers im just trying to help him and recomended this route to slove his problem
Expert:  chris replied 8 years ago.

OK----this is probly the last thing I can think of and then I am out of suggestion ---

put all relays back into place ---now open the hood and find fuse 25 in the fuse box ( see pic)

graphic

start the truck up ---I think this fuse may have a poor conection ---wiggle this fuse -move it around -while someone operates the windows and see if it clears up ----you said that after replaceing the relay you tried to jump the relay again and that would not even clear it up ---so we may have a poor conection at this fuse -or from this fuse to the fuse box

Chris

graphic

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
no luck by doing that but my brother wanted me to point this out dont know if it would have anything to do with this issue position 16 40A fuse that goes to trailer tow battery charge and stop turn lamps is blown he didnt think it affected this but he wanted me to tell you
Expert:  chris replied 8 years ago.

Nope -you are right , that would not have anything to do with this -----like I said before this is a weird one , not a common problem with the dome lamps flashing and all--but if I had to guess I would say you have a bad interior fuse panel , they are know to get opens for this system , its not a hard part to replace ,,but I would hate for you to spend $220 on a new fuse box and it does not work ---but I can opt out of this question and see if anyone else may have some info for you ---it may take some time ,,so dont hang out by the computer all day----sorry

Chris

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to chris's Post: Chris would that be why we could jump it yesterday but its not working today would that possibly be an indcation of a fuse box issue, and I have told my brother what you have said and we will wait for an answer back and i will tell him to look for that in his email but on the issue of could a open in the fuse box cause us not to be able to jump it he was want to know your feelings on that could let me know here before we let you go today. Thanks for help Chris I know my brother really does appricate your help
Expert:  chris replied 8 years ago.

Yes --I think it is the fuse box ---I have replaced many for power window and other things being inop before --- but yours is more like a loose conection either for power or for ground ---you have checked the ground and you have checked the power --so the weakest point in the system is the fuse box , due to how Ford makes them --the part is $220 and you can pick it up from any dealer ---

to replace it you have to remove the lower panel under the steering column

graphic

then on the back of the fuse panel there is two big connectors held in place by 10 mm bolts in the center of them --take them off

graphic

then remove the four bolts on the front of the fuse box that hold the fuse box to the dash , then slide the fuse box down and unplug the three connectors on the side of it

graphic

graphic

then the fuse box is out ---on the back of the fuse box is the GEM it is held in by one screw -remove the screw and pop it off and put it on the new fuse box , then install the new fuse box

graphic

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ok I want to leave ticket open for now I will respond after we get part and replace

Thanks Darwin
Expert:  chris replied 8 years ago.

OK---

Chris