AJ
AJ, Ford Technician
Experience:  8 YEARS EXPERIENCE DIESEL,GAS,CLIMATE CONTROL,ect

We have a 2003 Ford Escape that the battery died on. When I ...

We have a 2003 Ford Escape that the battery died on. When I went to jump it, my girlfriend reversed the jumper cables on her car (the Escape) after I attached the correct cables to my Grand Prix. Both posts on the Escape battery and the grounded metal attached to the black cable on my grand prix started smoking. I quickly realized what she'd done and after we jumped the car correctly, also verified the battery was dead. During the drive after the jump and after I replaced the battery, the dome lights aren't coming on, we can't use the remote to unlock/lock the doors, cannot use the button on the door to lock/unlock unless the key is turned on, and the radio no longer works even while driving. I'm assuming that the reverse polarity burnt something. No smell of burning plastic, checked all fuses and switched the accessory relay plug with the fog lamp relay plug to verify that was not it. What can I do now?
Category: Ford
Expert:  AJ replied 5 years ago.
Hi how are you.I would start by checking what you did all fuses.After that you are going to have to test the GEM module, that controls all the things that aren't working you may have burned up the module but you are going to have to test it for codes first.
AJ, Ford Technician
Experience: 8 YEARS EXPERIENCE DIESEL,GAS,CLIMATE CONTROL,ect
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do I go about testing the GEM module. Assumably I'm out of my league at this point if I don't have the correct tool to gather codes?
Expert:  AJ replied 5 years ago.
You are going to have to use a scanner that can access that module.It is not the type of one that you can buy in an auto store cheep.But you are going to have to start there and see what you come up with.you will most likely be going to a dealer to have this repaired.Hope this helps.If you have anymore questions let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm trying to do this myself to save on the insane amount of money associated with taking it to the dealer. I've read about re-installing a new GEM module IF you can find the right module. How does it work with the remote key access code? Is this something that has to be programmed in?
Expert:  AJ replied 5 years ago.
When installing a new gem module at the dealer we need to upload the info out of the old one and download it into the new one.If you get a junk yard one i can't tell how it will work.If it does work you will still have to access the gem module data to get the keyless entry code.Most likely you are going to have a problem with a used module.Let me know if you have anymore questions.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have the keyless entry code on a paper tag, but I'm guessing you're going to have upload said code to the new GEM module one way or another. Last question, the key reset function (turn key off-on eight times in 10 seconds and the locks should go on and off) isn't working either, does this point to the GEM still? Trip odometer resets after turning off the car, etc...

Just want to verify the GEM can be responsible for all these things before I go that route.
Expert:  AJ replied 5 years ago.
Yes the keyless remote system is controlled by the GEM module.IF you get a new gem the down loading will retain the same key code.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Alright, thanks for your help. Offhand do you know how much a GEM module replacement runs?