mustangmike
mustangmike, Ford Technician
Experience:  13YRS AS A FORD CERTIFIED TECH, PRESIDENTS AWARD WINNER FOR CUSTOMER SATISFACTION EVRY YR SINCE 1996
11027379

How to remove/replace a clutch in a 99 Ford F-150

No Comment Added
Category: Ford
Expert:  mustangmike replied 6 years ago.
what motor, and 2 wheel orXXXXX
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to mustangmike's Post: Exact size, not sure. Need to call and find out. Definitely a 6. Most likely 2WD then.

this for trans removal:

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
M5OD
Click image to see an enlarged view Fig. 1 Remove the retaining bolt from the transmission electrical harness connector and separate the harness Click image to see an enlarged view Fig. 2 Remove the nuts retaining the transmission support insulator (mount) to the crossmember Click image to see an enlarged view Fig. 3 Remove the 2 heat shield retaining bolts Click image to see an enlarged view Fig. 4 Remove the nuts and bolts retaining the crossmember to the frame side rails and remove the crossmember Click image to see an enlarged view Fig. 5 Remove the nut retaining the fuel line bracket to the transmission housing Click image to see an enlarged view Fig. 6 On 4.2L equipped models, remove the oil pan-to-transmission bolts Click image to see an enlarged view Fig. 7 Transmission-to-engine bolt locations-4.2L engine Click image to see an enlarged view Fig. 8 Transmission-to-engine bolt locations-4.6L and 5.4L engines

This type of transmission is found on F-150, F-250 and Expedition models.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the retaining bolt from the transmission electrical harness connector and separate the harness.
  3. Place the transmission in NEUTRAL.
  4. Remove the shift lever assembly.
  5. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  6. Support the vehicle with jack stands.
  7. Remove the driveshaft.
  8. Disconnect the clutch hydraulic line from the slave cylinder using Clutch Coupling Tool T88T-70522-A, or equivalent. Cap the end of the tube and slave cylinder to prevent the entry of dirt, moisture or other contaminants into the hydraulic clutch system.
  9. Disconnect the starter motor electrical connectors. Remove 2 starter motor retaining bolts and remove the starter motor.
  10. On 4x4 vehicles, remove the transfer case assembly.
  11. Disconnect heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) electrical harness connectors.
  12. Place a suitable transmission jack under transmission and secure with a strap or chain.
  13. Remove the nuts retaining the transmission support insulator (mount) to the crossmember.
  14. Remove the 2 heat shield retaining bolts.
  15. Remove the nuts and bolts retaining the crossmember to the frame side rails and remove the crossmember.
  16. Remove the 2 nuts retaining the exhaust pipe bracket and remove the bracket.
  17. Remove the nut retaining the fuel line bracket to the transmission housing.
  18. Remove the exhaust system bolts and lower the exhaust for transmission removal.
  19. On 4.2L equipped models, remove the oil pan-to-transmission bolts.

If the transmission is to be removed from the vehicle for an extended period, support the rear of the engine with a safety stand and wood block, or equivalent.

1. Remove the transmission retaining bolts and bring the transmission rearward to separate the clutch housing from the dowel pins on the rear of the cylinder block. Slowly lower the transmission from the vehicle.

To install:

1. The extension housing seal should be replaced before installing the transmission. Remove the extension housing seal using Removal Tool T74P-77248-A, or equivalent.
  2. Lubricate the inside diameter of the oil seal and install the seal into the extension housing using Installer Tool T61L-7657-A, or equivalent. Ensure that the extension housing seal drain hole faces downward.
  3. Install 2 dowel pins into the lower clutch housing bolt holes. The dowel pins can be made by cutting the heads from 2 bolts but they must be long enough to be removed after the transmission is in place.
  4. Place the transmission on a suitable transmission jack and secure with a strap or chain.
  5. Slowly lift the transmission into place. Ensure that the input shaft engages the clutch disc spline and the pilot bearing in the flywheel.
  6. Install the bolts retaining the clutch housing to the cylinder block. Tighten the bolts to 38 ft. lbs. (50 Nm). To avoid galvanic corrosion, only aluminum washers can be used to attach the housing to the engine.
  7. On 4.2L equipped models, install the oil pan-to-transmission bolts. Tighten the bolts to 38 ft. lbs. (50 Nm).
  8. Place the exhaust system in position and install the retaining bolts.
  9. Place the fuel line bracket in position and install the retaining nut.
  10. Place the exhaust bracket in position and install the retaining nuts.
  11. Install the rear crossmember and install 6 crossmember-to-frame bolts. Tighten the bolts to 39-53 ft. lbs. (53-72 Nm).
  12. Install the 2 heat shield retaining bolts.
  13. Lower the transmission ensuring the rear transmission insulator studs are properly positioned. Install 2 retaining nuts and tighten to 64-81 ft. lbs. (87-110 Nm).
  14. Remove the jack and connect the 2 heated oxygen sensors (HO2S).
  15. Install the starter motor and tighten the attaching bolts.
  16. On 4x4 vehicles, install the transfer case.
  17. Install the driveshaft to the rear axle flange and tighten the bolts.
  18. Remove the cap from the hydraulic clutch tube. Install the tube and fitting in the slave cylinder, then install the clip retaining the tube and fitting to the slave cylinder.
  19. Check the transmission and transfer case fluid level and fill with specified lubricate.
  20. Remove the jack stands.
  21. Lower the vehicle.
  22. Install the shift lever and retaining bolt.
  23. Place the rubber shift boot on the floor and install the retaining bolts.
  24. Connect the negative battery cable.
  25. Bleed the hydraulic clutch system.
  26. Road test the vehicle and check for proper transmission operation.

clutch replacement:

1. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  2. Remove the transmission.
  3. If the clutch and pressure plate are going to be reused, mark the pressure plate and cover assembly and the flywheel so that they can be reinstalled in the same relative position.
  4. Loosen the pressure plate and cover attaching bolts evenly in a staggered sequence a turn at time until the pressure plate springs are relieved of their tension. Remove the attaching bolts.
  5. Remove the pressure plate and cover assembly and the clutch disc from the flywheel.
  6. Remove the pilot bearing in the crankshaft by removing using a suitable puller.

To install:

The self-adjusting pressure plate on the F-150, F-250 and Expedition models should always be adjusted before installation.

1. Before installing the self-adjusting pressure plate, adjust as follows:
    1. Place the flywheel and pressure plate in a suitable press.
    2. Using a suitable adapter, press down on the clutch diaphragm fingers until the adjusting ring moves freely.
    3. Rotate the adjusting ring counterclockwise until the tension springs are compressed.
    4. Hold the adjusting ring while releasing the pressure on the clutch fingers.
  2. Inspect the flywheel for wear, damage and flatness. Replace or resurface as necessary.
  3. Install a new pilot bearing into the crankshaft using a suitable pilot bearing installer.
  4. Position the clutch disc on the flywheel so that an aligning tool or spare transmission mainshaft can enter the clutch pilot bearing and align the disc.
  5. When reinstalling the original pressure plate and cover assembly, align the assembly and flywheel according to the marks made during removal. Position the pressure plate and cover assembly on the flywheel, align the pressure plate and disc, and install the retaining bolts. Tighten the bolts in an alternating sequence a few turns at a time until the proper torque is reached:
  • 35-46 ft. lbs. (47-63 Nm) on the 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L engines (except Super Duty models)
  • 30-36 ft. lbs. (41-49 Nm) on the 5.4L and 6.8L engines on Super Duty models
  • 22-30 ft. lbs. (30-40 Nm) on the 5.8L engine
  • 19-26 ft. lbs. (26-35 Nm) on the 7.3L diesel engine
  • 14-19 ft. lbs. (19-26 Nm) on the 7.5L engine
  1. Remove the tool used to align the clutch disc.
  2. Install the transmission.
  3. Install the slave cylinder and bleed the system.

ADJUSTMENTS

Because the clutch system is hydraulic, the clutch pedal free-play is self-adjusting and requires no additional maintenance.

this should help you out, if you need more info just reply back.

thanks....mike

mustangmike, Ford Technician
Experience: 13YRS AS A FORD CERTIFIED TECH, PRESIDENTS AWARD WINNER FOR CUSTOMER SATISFACTION EVRY YR SINCE 1996