Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist
9600325

How do I get the tensioner pulley off of a 95 mustang

I purchased a new serpentine belt to go on my car while putting it on I noticed the tensioner pulley was broken. I have the entire pulley part but I haven''t been able to get the old pulley off. I''ve turned both counter clockwise and clockwise and I used break away thinking maybe it was just rusted. All of this to no avail. I''m afraid of stripping the bolt out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I''m pretty frustrated after 2 days of dealing with this one part.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question.

Are you trying to get the pulley off the tensioner or the tensioner off the engine?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm trying to get the tensioner off the engine.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If I knew how to get the pulley off the tensioner I could do that... Would it be easier??
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 6 years ago.
Ok, if the bolt spins both ways that means at least one thread is stripped.Even if you could replace the pulley now,with the bolt not properly tightened you run the risk of the tensioner coming off the engine at some point.Have you tried to get some outward pressure on the tensioner while turning the bolt out to get it to bite? I would try to soak it with rust penetrant where the tensioner meets the engine then find something to pry outward on the tensioner (pry bar etc...) while unscrewing the bolt and see if will come out that way.If it wont come out that way I would get it to a professional tech.The head of the bolt will need to be cut off and tensioner removed then cut bolt down,drill, extract and tap.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
You can't see the bolt it's inset so there is no way to get to the bolt by hand. Which way is it supposed to turn? clockwise or counter clockwise?
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 6 years ago.
counterclockwise
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I can't get it to break free. Is it any easier to get the pulley off the tensioner??
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 6 years ago.

Can you get to the back side of the bracket that it bolts to under the a/c compressor and get some lube on the bolt from the back??

graphic

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 6 years ago.

Does it turn at all or is it frozen?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The image you sent showed a regular bolt head ours is a hex type allen wrench 5 point and it's inset you're able to get to it with your hand. the bolt is now rounded out from us trying to break it free.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm sorry I mean you ARE NOT able to get to it by hand
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 6 years ago.
Ok if its rounded off then I think your as far as you can go.A repair shop will most likely have to cut the tensioner off from around the bolt and then try to extract it.The only other choice I think you have is to get a new bolt and a new or used mounting bracket and replace it that way.I'm referring to the large aluminum bracket that the tensioner and A/C compressor bolts to if you can access all the bracket bolts with the tensioner still in place.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience: Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist