lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.
9493671

how do i change the variable cam timing sensor on a 1999 ford contour

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Ford
Expert:  lostrider replied 6 years ago.
Hi thereCustomer you have to remove the camshaft to replace the VGT, the instructions will tell you to remove both, but you only need to remove the exhaust cam to replace, there are special tools needed for the timing alignment, other than the dealer the only place Ive seen them is on the tool trucks, hope this helps.
  1. Disconnect the throttle cable.
1Remove the plastic clip.
2Unhook the cable.

graphic

1. Remove the upper part of the engine front cover. NOTE: Use a Torx E10 bit.
1Remove the studs.
2Remove the bolts.

graphic

1. Remove the appearance cover.
1Disconnect the solenoid valve electrical connector.
2Remove the eight bolts.
  1. NOTE: Loosening sequence: From the outside inwards, working diagonally.

graphic

Remove the valve cover.

1Disconnect the HT wires from the spark plugs.
2Disconnect the crankcase ventilation hose.
3Remove the 10 bolts.

graphic

1. Remove the center part of the engine front cover/front engine mounting bracket.

graphic

1. Loosen the timing belt.
1Loosen the bolt and release the timing belt tensioner by turning it clockwise.
2Unscrew the bolt four turns and unhook the timing belt tensioner.

graphic

1. Remove the camshaft pulleys.
1Remove the timing belt.
2Remove the blanking plug from the exhaust camshaft pulley.
3Remove the exhaust camshaft pulley.

NOTE: Hold the camshaft by the hexagon with an open-ended wrench to stop it from turning.

4Remove the intake camshaft timing belt pulley.

graphic

1. Remove the bolts from the Variable Camshaft Timing (VCT) oil feed flange.
  2. NOTE: Working evenly in several stages, unscrew each bolt two turns at a time. NOTE: Loosen the bearing caps in the indicated sequence.

graphic

Loosen the camshaft bearing caps.

graphic

1. Remove the camshafts.
1Remove the camshaft bearing caps.
2Remove the intake camshaft.
3Remove the exhaust camshaft with the oil feed flange.

Service and Repair
Notes

REMOVAL

1. Remove the camshafts.

graphic

1. Slide the oil control solenoid from the camshaft.

INSTALLATION

1. Follow the removal procedure in reverse order.
Notes
NOTE:Ford does not provide camshaft gear timing marks, or information to perform timing belt service without the special tools shown in this procedure.
  1. NOTE: Use a thumb to press the locating pins of the gasket into the holes.

graphic

Press a new gasket into the oil feed flange.

graphic

1. Prepare the exhaust camshaft for installation.
1Insert the oil feed ring into the oil feed flange.
2Slide both components together onto the exhaust camshaft.

graphic

1. Thinly coat the camshaft bearing cap No. 5 with sealant.

graphic

1. Insert the camshafts.
    • Lubricate the valve tappets with engine assembly lubricant and insert them.
    • Lubricate the camshaft bearings with engine assembly lubricant.
    • Insert the intake camshaft.
1Hold the oil feed flange upwards during installation of the exhaust camshaft.
2Position the oil feed ring hole at the top.

NOTE: Keep the oil feed flange away from the cylinder head when turning the flange to avoid damaging the gasket.

3Turn the oil feed flange till the locating lug is in installation position on the cylinder head.
  1. Insert new exhaust camshaft oil seal.
  2. NOTE: The numbering is on the outside of the camshaft bearing caps.

graphic

Insert the camshaft bearing caps.

NOTE: Make sure the upright seat of the exhaust camshaft oil seal during tightening process of camshaft bearing caps.

1. NOTE: Working evenly in several stages, screw in each bolt two turns at a time. NOTE: Tightening sequence.

graphic

Tighten the camshaft bearing bolts.

1. install the intake camshaft oil seal.
  2. NOTE: Make sure the locating lug of the oil feed flange is in installation position on the cylinder head during installation.

graphic

Install the oil feed flange bolts.

• Finger tighten the right-hand bolt.
  • Finger tighten the left-hand bolt.
1Tighten the right-hand bolt.
2Tighten the left-hand bolt.

graphic

1. Check that the oil feed ring moves freely.
    • If it is difficult to turn the oil feed ring, loosen the bolts on the oil feed flange and tighten them again as described in the step before.

graphic

1. Set the crankshaft to TDC on cylinder No. 1.
  2. NOTE: Cylinders No. 1 and No. 4 are at TDC when the Woodruff key points straight up.

graphic

Using the special tool, set the crankshaft to TDC.

• Remove the blanking plug.

graphic

1. Set cylinder No. 4 to "valves overlap" and install the special tool.
1Hold the camshafts by the hexagon using an open-ended wrench and turn them in the direction of engine rotation.
2Slide the special tool onto the ends of both camshafts.
  1. NOTE: If the lug is bent or not centered between the oil bores and the mark, install a new exhaust camshaft pulley.

graphic

Installation position of the exhaust camshaft pulley.

1The lug is centered between the oil bores and the mark.
2The lug must locate in the hole.
  1. CAUTION: Do not rotate the crankshaft. Check that it is still resting against the special tool. NOTE: Install the bolts in place but do not tighten them. NOTE: New O-ring seal for the exhaust camshaft pulley.

graphic

Slide the camshaft pulleys onto the camshafts, screw in the bolts and position the new timing belt.

1Position the hollow bolt finger tight.
2Install the bolt.
  1. CAUTION Do not rotate the crankshaft. Check that it is still resting against the special tool . NOTE: The lug of the tensioner should not be hooked in the sheet metal cover during timing belt assembly.

graphic

Position a new timing belt.

• Starting from the crankshaft timing belt pulley and working counterclockwise, position the timing belt in place while keeping it under tension.
  1. CAUTION: Tension the timing belt, working counterclockwise. NOTE: Incorrect timing belt tension will cause incorrect valve timing.

graphic

Tension the timing belt.

1Hook the timing belt tensioner into the sheet metal cover and loosely screw in the bolt.
2Tension the belt by turning the timing belt tensioner counterclockwise until the pointer and the mark are lined up.
  1. NOTE: Hold the intake camshaft pulley with the special tool to stop it from turning.

graphic

Tighten the camshaft pulleys.

1Tighten the intake camshaft pulley.

NOTE: Hold the exhaust camshaft by the hexagon with an open-ended wrench to stop it from turning.

2Tighten the exhaust camshaft pulley to Stage l tightening torque.
  1. Remove the special tool.
  2. NOTE: Hold the exhaust camshaft by the hexagon with an open-ended wrench to stop it turning.

graphic

Tighten the exhaust camshaft pulley to Stage 2 tightening torque.

1. NOTE: If necessary, only turn engine in the direction of engine rotation by the crankshaft. Check camshaft timing.
    • Set the crankshaft to TDC on cylinder No. 1. as described before.
    • If the special tool does not fit into both camshaft slots, loosen the tensioner, the intake and exhaust camshaft pulley bolts and tension the timing belt.
  1. NOTE: Use a new blanking plug.

graphic

Screw in the blanking plug on the exhaust camshaft pulley.

1. NOTE: Tightening sequence: From the inside outwards, working diagonally.

graphic

Install the valve cover with a new gasket and a new solenoid valve oil seal.

1Screw in the ten bolts.
2Connect the crankcase ventilation hose.
3Connect the HT wires to the spark plugs.

graphic

1. Install the appearance cover.
lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks for the help,i am not going to attempt this myself, however if i were the info and illustration you gave me are perfect.Great research you got it all very fast.
Expert:  lostrider replied 6 years ago.
your welcome.