mustangmike
mustangmike, Ford Technician
Experience:  13YRS AS A FORD CERTIFIED TECH, PRESIDENTS AWARD WINNER FOR CUSTOMER SATISFACTION EVRY YR SINCE 1996
11027379

1998 FORD CONTOUR: FUSES..FAN MOTOR..JUMPED TO 12V SUPPLY

Customer Question

1998 FORD CONTOUR ...HEAT AND AC BLOWER FAN WILL NOT WORK... FUSES CHECK OK AND FAN MOTOR WORKS WHEN JUMPED TO 12V SUPPLY.    WHAT WOULD BE NEXT ITEN TO TEST
Category: Ford
Expert:  mustangmike replied 8 years ago.
have you checked the blower motor resistor, its on the interior firewall held in with star bit, 99 % of the time it needs that resistor, from there i would back probe the wiring to the controls.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Sorry for the time lag... I did replace the blower motor resistor and still no power to the blower motor... I think my next step will be to put a jumper wire across the fan speed control switch to test if that switch is defective.
i would check the wiring from the blower resistor back to fan speed control switch, and if that is all good then i would replace the speed control swich.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have checked the four wires between the blower motor resistor and the fan switch ...they all test good ... I now find I have NO voltage at the connector to the fan switch. Any suggestions on what to test next. I did retest the fuse box the are all good

I would check the heater blower motor relay#14 in the interior fuse box.

heres a diagram of the system:

graphic

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks I did check the relay and found it ok .. TURNS out the problem was the large 60 amp fuse under the hood in the power distribution box.