lamontgomery
lamontgomery, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  14 years experience, 2000-2006 Senior Master, ASE master in Truck and Auto, Level 1 Fire mechanic
10921119

My 99 Expedition air ride pump will not come on, there is

My 99 Expedition air ride pump will not come on, there is power on the red wire once the engine is started and put into gear yet there is no signal nor does the pump work. It has had this problem for about 6 months and all I have had to do is wiggle the pump and it would start up.
Category: Ford
Expert:  lamontgomery replied 6 years ago.
Is this a consistent intermittent problem?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to lamontgomery's Post: Intermittent, but when it happens it is continuas and it goes all the way to the frame.

You just notice the rear of the truck sagging when it does not work?

When the pump is running, everything works OK?

Have you had any previous air suspension work done?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to lamontgomery's Post: Yes I notice it sagging or my wife tells me the air susspension light is on.

Also yes, when the pump works everything is fine.

And no, no work done on susspension only on brakes 3 1/2 years ago.

If the compressor, air suspension module, compressor relay are working properly and you have no air leaks, the likely cause is an open between the air suspension module and the air suspension relay. Circuit 420 has a dark blue/ yellow wire. The air suspension module grounds this circuit to energize the relay and turn on the air compressor. I have run into this problem a few times on Expedition and Navigators after the above parts have been replaced. It may be an intermittent concern that I have found hard to duplicate. The guys at the Ford hotline had me overlay circuit 420 from the air suspension module to the air compressor relay. It was a chore because part of the dash had to be removed to access the module. Once I overlayed the circuit to the relay, it never came back for that concern. I was able to help two other customers here on Just Answer with the same concern. I'd get the codes checked first to be on the safe side.

Thanks,

Loy

graphicgraphic

lamontgomery, Ford Mechanic
Experience: 14 years experience, 2000-2006 Senior Master, ASE master in Truck and Auto, Level 1 Fire mechanic