Justin, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Technician Gas and Diesel, ASE Master Tech

Ford f350 7.3 diesal. wont start. cranks but wont fire.

Customer Question

ford f350 7.3 diesal. won''t start. cranks but wont fire. does glow plug relay cylinder control the injectors? Seems injectors are not firing
Category: Ford
Expert:  Justin replied 8 years ago.
Hi my name is Justin.

-When was the oil last changed?
-Do you have clean diesel fuel, not off-road?
-Is the check enigne light coming on when the key is turn on?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Oil changed 2 months ago
no check engine light
good diesael fuel
Vehicle ran fine 3 weeks ago than I parked it and can't get it started again. Engine cranks but no fire. Had a "mobile mechanic' come out for $80 checked all the fuses and sensors he could get to and gave up. (claimed not familiar enough with diesals)
Expert:  Justin replied 8 years ago.
The glow plug relay does not control the injectors. Just confirming this is a van E-350?

Does the check engine light come on at all?
With the key on or at any time?
Does the "wait to start light" come on?
-If both lights come on with the key continue on with fuel pressure check.

There are a few things that could cause this not to start. Fuel psi needs to be present at the fuel bowl/filter area. There is a schrader valve there(looks like a tire valve) that you can put a fuel pressure gage on and check. You should have a minimum of 20psi. If you don't have access to a fuel pressure gage you can remove the fuel filter cap and try to start the van. The fuel bowl should fill with fuel. (Be careful it could overflow!!!)
-(Also check the fuel filter while you have the cap off.)
If it does not fill with fuel or if you have no fuel pressure let me know and we will continue on.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
no check engine light on
yes "wait to start" light still comes on for a moment or two
am going to attempt to do what you suggest
Expert:  Justin replied 8 years ago.
Before you check the fuel pressure you need to figure out why the check engine light is not on. It should come on for a bit when you turn the key on. If it is never on in any key position then we need to check some other things. Make sure before we continue on, I don't want you to waste any time with the fuel if its a PCM problem.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
theres a "service engine light" that does come on for a sec when you turn key to on position along with the "bells for seat belt"etc
Expert:  Justin replied 8 years ago.
Ok that leaves out a shorted PCM problem. I would go ahead and check the fuel pressure.