mustangmike
mustangmike, Ford Technician
Experience:  13YRS AS A FORD CERTIFIED TECH, PRESIDENTS AWARD WINNER FOR CUSTOMER SATISFACTION EVRY YR SINCE 1996
11027379

2003 mercury sable: water leak..housing..passenger side..rubber

2003 mercury sable, water leak running from behind the a/c heater housing in to passenger side floor. have added rubber extension to cabin air filter lid. have added sealant where ford recommended. have replace cowl vent trim panel on both sides.
does leak when your a/c is on? are sure it's water and not antifreeze?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am presently testing for leak with water hose laying on cowl trim panel. It leaks that way. Condensate drain is open. Don't think it leaks when running a/c unless raining.

I just found a recall for leaking windshield for your 2003 sable. it is 03C03.

AFFECTED VEHICLES

Certain 2002 and 2003 model year Taurus and Sable vehicles built at the Atlanta Assembly Plant, on the 3rd production shift only, from October 29, 2001 through April 27, 2002.

COMPLIANCE CONCERN

In a limited number of the affected vehicles, the windshield may not be properly secured, which may result in a non-conformance to the requirements specified in Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 212 - Windshield Mounting. If the windshield is not properly secured to the body, wind noise, squeak/rattles or water leaks may occur. Also, potential loss of windshield retention may reduce occupant protection in the event of an accident.

SERVICE ACTION

Dealers are to install, or have installed, a new Carlite windshield on all of the vehicles involved in this recall. This must be done on all of the affected vehicles in your inventory as well as vehicles that have been delivered to customers.

YOUR VEHICLE MAY STILL BE UNDER THIS RECALL

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to mustangmike's Post: I have that recall paper already on hand. I talked to my windshield guy in town. He did not think that was it. The way I am applying the water it would be difficult for the water to cravitate uphill.
do you have a micron air filter installed?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
new filter in place. water at present does not come in to blower motor cavity. it appears it had at one time. i have bought a fiber optic scope and have been all over the thing. i tried extra water deflection on top of lid and raised the deflection level at bottom in front of filter. i have added an extra drain in near the filter case. none of this has corrected the problem
Has there been any reports of a screw or bolt missing in firewall. The leak appears to be a body leak or a screw hole leak. If water was leaking through the filter it would go into the blower motor cavity. Looking in to the upper housing under the filter there is not water.
I have had only one vehicle with a water leak like you are talking about, I had to pull the dash, and heater/ac box out and seal around every hole,screw, bolt and hose going through the firewall. I had 8hrs tied up in the repair.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to mustangmike's Post: Is it possible by removing the dash board top that I can see enough to tell if that is the problem?
if it is leaking around the windshield area, I would try using an air hose blowing from out side and listen with a stetho scope inside, with the outside and inside window cowling off.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I will check out the windshield and also seal everything I can from the engine side of firewall. I just found two small bolts that were not snug and tightened them.
Thanks for your help. There are a lot of people having this trouble but apparently dealers are not recording the fixes on Oasis every time and there seems to be a lack of information. This seems to be a common problem. I bought this car when it was 7 months old. When we discovered the problem just this year I found the rubber plug in the floor pan had been removed. In my opinion someone removed that to let the water out because they did not know how to repair it or did not want to.
Thanks very much for your help. I will accept after this reply.

you are absolutely right about the information breakdown, they only put warranty repairs in the nation wide system.

PLEASE ACCEPT IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Mike,I just wanted to reply to let you know my success thanks to you. Also to add some $$$ to your income. I have a balance left anyway. I feel like I took up to much of your time. I snugged up the bolts that hold the a/c housing through the firewall. I sealed around every hose and line that goes through the firewall including the condensate drain. Some of the leakage was condensate that exited and reentered between the drain and the rubber seal behind the housing. I put a drop light behind the engine next to the drain and light would shine between the rubber seal and the drain. That was proof enough. I am sure some rain water also entered there. When you told me you had sealed one unit from the inside I decided to do it from the outside. I also made a water shed out of thick rubber materiel and put it over the hoses and lines to deflect rainwater just in case my seals did not hold. My wife has just recently been a rain with visibility about 10 feet and there was no water inside when she arrived home. This has been a 6 months ordeal. Now just to dry out the carpet and finish it up.