chris
chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience
9504203

1999 Windstar: vacuum line..the vacuum canister..hvac..intake

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Windstar and the black vacuum line that goes to the vacuum canister for the hvac sytem is broken. I cannot find where this line originates. The red line is connected to the back side of the intake.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 8 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris, a current Ford Lincoln Mercury employee.

Thanks for coming to our website Just Answer. I will do my best to help you resolve your concerns. I try my hardest to respond in a timely matter and I will respond to any reply anytime I am online. If you choose to reply after an answer is posted to say Thanks. Please include "I accept the answer" in your text

All vacuum supply comes from the intake manifold. So this narrows it down a little. A vacuum hose not connected will produce a hissing a sucking noise when idleing and when sprayed with ether or carb cleaner or brake cleaner it will increase the idle. I believe the port it connects to is on the rear corner on the passenger side of the intake,.

graphic

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Chris (aka- Moose)'s Post: These two lines are hooked up. The red one goes to the vacuum canister and a larger black one goes to feed other things. The small black one that is detached tees off of the vacuum canister where the red one is attatched. There is two ports for vacuum on that side of the back intake and I pulled them off and they all seem to be attached.

Check the vacuum line to the EVAP service port on the firewall. It will have a green cap.

graphic

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Chris (aka- Moose)'s Post: It has two larger lines and a smaller yellow line that goes to the back side of the intake. All three are hooked up with no place for the small black line to hook to.
Any warning indicators on or any ill running issues or vacuum concerns?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Chris (aka- Moose)'s Post: The engine light is on and the code just says there is a vacuum leak. With this line broken the heat and air comes out the defroster since there is not enough vacuum to the inside of the van.
If you plug off the line at the reservoir and all the reservoir to get vacuum does the check engine light still come back on after a rest and does the dash air flow direction begin to work.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Chris (aka- Moose)'s Post: The air still comes out of the defroster. I had disconnected the battery cable so the dash light is off.
So you have narrowed it down to the T not being an issue at this point but no vacuum at all making it to the reservoir. The vacuum diagram I sent is the only one offered from ford. The chassis location is the reservoir.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I still have no idea where the line comes from.
Expert:  chris replied 8 years ago.

hi there

the red vacuum line goes to the vacuum tank and then goes off a black and white check valve to a thin black hose ,, this thin back hose is the main vacuum line to the a/c inside the van,, then thin vacuum line goes into the fire wall and into the van for the a/c ---its hard to see this unless you have a flash light and the engine is cool ---i have seen holes in the red hose and the black hose and in the vacuum take on this unit,, also the chk valve can be bad --- check the red and black hoses for cracks or holes ,, if thats ok ,,, remove the check valve and blow and suck on it ,,it should only let air go one way ---if thats ok ,,,then cap off the line going to the vacuum tank and see if that makes a difference --tell me what you get

Chris

chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience