chris
chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience
9504203

1999 F150: power windows..dome lights..I checked all fuses and relays

My power windows and dome lights on my 1999 F150 worked one day and the next day they did not work I checked all fuses and relays

Hi there

Try this, both the dome lamps and the power windows have one thing in common ,,that is the batter saver relay ,,, the relay is powered up by fuse #14 in the interior fuse panel ,, check this fuse one more time--if its ok ---then open the hood and open the engine compartment fuse box and remove the horn relay

graphic

then with relay in hand go to the interior fuse panel and remove the battery saver relay and put the horn relay in its spot----then see if everything works----if it does then that relay was bad ----if this does not work then I need to know if you have a test lamp to do some more diag -----tell me what you get-we can go back and fourth on this page

Chris

graphic

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have done this and it still does not work I do have a test lamp and checked for power to relay

Good, you have a test lamp ----remove the battery saver relay --look at the bottom of the relay ---there are numbers on the relay --like 1-2-3-4 ---now use your test lamp and see if where pin 1 and pin 3 of the relay goes into the fuse box has power ----if they do have power then use a paper clip ,and with the key on , jump pin 3 and pin 5 in the fuse box of that relay ,,and see if everything works--

Chris

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I was able to make only the dome lights work manualy

Thats some good info ---this means you do have power on pin 3 and 5 ----its the Gem moduale that is not turning on the relays----then you have to check these fuse in the interior fuse panel for the GEM ---with the key on see if fuse #15, 6 and 8 have power

Chris

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
All have power
Go ahead and jump those two pins on the battery saver relay, in the fuse box -jump 3 to 5 with a paper clip and tell me if everything works----------------I also need to know if you have had any heavy rain lately
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
no heavy Rain for 3plus months alot of heat the power windows still do not work
I am sorry -but are you saying that you jumped 3 and 5 and the power windows and dome lamps did not work ???
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
only the dome lights worked

the windows do not

ok-put everything back into place ----take another look at the interior fuse box pic--------the two relays on the bottom left ( the acc relay , and one touch relay) switch those ----now the drivers power may not work , but check the others and the dome lamps -----

after this I think you may have a bad GEM due to water intrusion

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
still not working          Were is the GEM?

The GEM is located on the back of the interior fuse panel -there is two big connectors on the back of the fuse panel that you remove with a 10 mm socket

graphic

and then remove the four bolts on the front of the fuse box

graphic

then you can slide the hole thing down and unplug the connectors to the GEM

graphic

then the hole thing comes out and the one screw that holds the GEM to the back of the fuse box--remove it and pull the GEM off ----

graphic

these trucks are known to have water leaks ,,and the leak drips on the fuse box and the GEM and shorts it out----sometimes you can wait it out and all will come back on after it dries out ---other times it will do major damage to the GEM and the fuse box ---

Chris

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank You Very much for your help

No problem

Chris