Jerry, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic with over 30 years experience with N.Y.P.D. fleet service division

2001 Ford Focus ZX3: quit working..occurs..the speedometer..comes back

intermittenly, my 2001 Ford Focus ZX3 speedometer will quit working and then come back on. When this event occurs, the power of the vehicle seems to slightly diminish and the radio volume will also diminish until the speedometer comes back on. Any thoughts on what might be going on. Thanks
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jerry replied 8 years ago.

Hi, it sounds like you have a VSS vehicle speed sensor problem,the signal is dropping out,causing the speedometer to cut out and the radio volume to diminish,and the slight engineproblem . To check this would require a test with a scan tool, seeing if any codes are stored, and to test if the signal is being lost from the sensor when the problem occurs. I will send you pictures showing the location of the sensor and the speed control module ,I would look to see if the connections are intact, if so I thenwould replace the sensor,unless you have the equipment to do the testing. I hope this will help you with the problem,thanks for using Just Answer,Jerry.