Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

2006 Explorer: the trouble code..Leak..easy fix..garage

I have a 2006 Explorer with the trouble code P0455 - Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected. What exactly needs to be fixed and or replaced and is it an easy fix, something I can do in my garage or is it something I have to have done at the dealer. Thanks
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 8 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris, a current Ford Lincoln Mercury employee.

Thanks for coming to our website Just Answer. I will do my best to help you resolve your concerns. I try my hardest to respond in a timely matter and I will respond to any reply anytime I am online. If you choose to reply after an answer is posted to say Thanks. Please include "I accept the answer" in your text

This means the system which collects the fuel tank vapors and routes it to the engine to get burned is leaking. It can be in many areas including the fuel cap or fuel filler neck or the fuel pump gasket or the EVAP hoses or canistor. You will need a scan tool and smoke maachine to command the evap open so you can add the smoke and use a light to find the smoke exiting as the source of the leak.