ase_master327
ase_master327, Shop Owner
Experience:  +15 years experience with Fords. Bumper to bumper diagnosis & repair.
907259

2001 f-150 4x4 torsion bar removal and replacement

No Comment Added
Category: Ford
Expert:  ase_master327 replied 6 years ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer!

Here are the instructions on replacing the torsion bar on your truck:

graphic

Removal

1. Raise the vehicle on a hoist.
  2. Apply a liberal amount of penetrating oil to the torsion bar adjuster and to the torsion bar socket at the lower control arm.

graphic

1. Make preliminary adjustment references.
  1. Mark the relation of the torsion bars to crossmember support.
  2. Measure and record the torsion bar adjuster bolt lengths.

graphic

1. Relieve the torsion bar tension.
  1. Remove the torsion bar adjuster bolt.
  2. Install the special tools T96T-5310-A and T9ST-5310-A on the crossmember support and to the torsion bar adjuster.
  3. Tighten the special tool until the torsion bar adjuster lifts off the adjuster nut.
  4. Remove the torsion bar adjuster nut.
  5. Remove the special tool.
    • Repeat on the opposite side.
  1. Remove the retainers from the torsion bar crossmember support.
  2. Position the torsion bar crossmember support rearward and remove the torsion bar adjusting bracket.
  3. Position the torsion bar rearward and separate it from the lower control arm. Position the torsion bar forward and remove the bar.

Installation

1. Position the torsion bar to the vehicle and install the bar to the lower control arm.
  2. Reposition the torsion bar crossmember support. Install the torsion bar adjusting brackets to the torsion bars

graphic

Install the crossmember support retaining bolts

graphic

.

1. Load the torsion bar.
  1. Install special tools T9ST-5310-A and T96T-5310-A on the crossmember support and to the torsion bar adjuster.
  2. Tighten the special tool to load the torsion bar.
  3. Install the torsion bar adjuster nuts.
  4. Loosely install the torsion bar adjuster bolt.
  5. Remove the special tools.
    • Repeat on the opposite side.

graphic

1. Make an initial adjustment.
  1. Turn the torsion bar adjusters until the reference marks on the torsion bars and crossmember support align.
  2. Measure the torsion bar adjuster bolt lengths. The measurement must equal the measurement taken during removal.
  1. Lower the vehicle.
  2. Check the ride height. Adjust as necessary.
  3. Check the wheel alignment. Adjust as necessary.
ase_master327, Shop Owner
Experience: +15 years experience with Fords. Bumper to bumper diagnosis & repair.