lamontgomery
lamontgomery, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  14 years experience, 2000-2006 Senior Master, ASE master in Truck and Auto, Level 1 Fire mechanic

1998 ford explorer xlt: v6 sohc 4x4..tensioner..jumped

I have a 1998 ford explorer xlt 4.0l v6 sohc 4x4 with a broken jackshaft tensioner. The timming jumped. How do I reset the timming?
Submitted: 6 years ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Ford
Expert:  lamontgomery replied 6 years ago.

The jack shaft tensioner is on the LH head?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to lamontgomery's Post: yes the jack shft tensioner on the lh head.
Have you had field service action 00M12 performed on your Explorer yet?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No. I am in the process of changing the timing chain, sprockets and tensioners myself. the explorer's tensioner fell apart insde the motor so the timing has slipped. How do i get the engin back in timing?

If the timing chain cartridge fell apart, there is a field service action you should read, 01M01. Please hold on, I'm getting the info together for you.

Thanks

INSPECTION

1. Is engine running?
    • Yes, continue to step 2.
    • No, go to step 6.
  2. Check the engine oil level before performing the inspection. Add oil, if necessary.
  3. NOTE: The engine should be cold.

Start engine and listen for excessive cam chain noise at the front (left) cam chain. Also, observe the motor to determine if it is running smooth or rough at idle.
    • If noise goes away within five minutes, check OASIS and perform 00M12 if appropriate.
    • If noise persists, continue with the inspection procedure.

VEHICLES WITH ENGINE RUNNING SMOOTH

4. Remove the left and right valve cover. Refer to Valve Covers in Section 303-01B in the appropriate Workshop Manual.
  5. Inspect the left cam, right cam and upper valve train for damage caused by lack of lubrication.
    • If there is damage to the cam(s) or valve train, contact the Special Service Support Center at 1-800-325-5621.
    • If the cams and valve train are not damaged, perform CAMSHAFT CASSETTE REPLACEMENT.

ENGINE RUNNING ROUGH (OR NOT RUNNING)

6. Remove the left valve cover. Refer to Valve Covers in Section 303-01B in the appropriate Workshop Manual.
  7. Inspect the left cam and upper valve train for damage caused by lack of lubrication.
    • If there is damage to the cam or valve train, contact the Special Service Support Center at 1-800-325-5621.
    • If the cam and valve train are not damaged, continue with the inspection procedure.
  8. Perform a cylinder leakage test on the left cylinder bank as follows.
    1. Remove the camshaft roller followers from the left side of the engine. Refer to Roller Followers in Section 303-01B in the appropriate Workshop Manual.
    2. Remove the spark plugs from the left side of the engine.
    3. For each cylinder, install the Rotunda Engine Cylinder Leak Detector/Air Pressurization Kit, 014-00708 or equivalent, into the spark plug hole.
    4. NOTE: Since the cam followers have been removed, all the valves on the left cylinder bank will be closed. Therefore, it is not necessary to bring the pistons to top dead center during the leakdown test.
      Pressurize each cylinder with compressed air and read the cylinder leakage gauge.
      • If any cylinder has a reading in excess of 50 percent, contact the Special Service Support Center at 1-800-325-5621.
      • If all of the cylinders have a reading of 50 percent or less, continue with the inspection procedure.
  9. Remove the right valve cover. Refer to Valve Covers in Section 303-01B in the appropriate Workshop Manual.
  10. Inspect the right cam and upper valve train for damage caused by lack of lubrication.
    • If the cam and valve train are not damaged, perform CAMSHAFT CASSETTE REPLACEMENT.

CAMSHAFT CASSETTE REPLACEMENT

REMOVAL

NOTE: The LH camshaft roller followers were removed previously if a cylinder leakage test was performed.

1. Remove the LH and RH camshaft roller followers. Refer to Roller Followers in Section 303-01B in the appropriate Workshop Manual.
  2. Disconnect and remove the engine coolant temperature sensor.
  3. Remove the radiator. Refer to the service procedure in Section 303-03 in the appropriate Workshop Manual.
  4. Remove the engine front cover. Refer to Engine Front Cover in Section 303-01B in the 2001 Workshop Manual.

CAUTION:
    You must retime the LH and RH camshafts when either camshaft is disturbed.

5. NOTE: The results of this inspection will be required later in this procedure.

Inspect the LH camshaft cassette for damage to the plastic inserts of the chain guide; look for any cracks, broken or small pieces that may enter the engine lubrication system. See Figure 1.

graphic

FIGURE 1

6. Remove the LH camshaft chain tensioner. See Figure 2.
  7. NOTE: The camshaft must be held in place to loosen the sprocket bolt.

Install Camshaft Gear Holding Tool T97T-6256-B and Adapter T97T-6256-A onto the camshaft sprocket. Loosen, but DO NOT remove, the camshaft sprocket bolt. See Figure 2.
  8. Remove the special tools and sprocket bolt.
  9. Hold the crankshaft from turning with special tool 303-674, and loosen the jackshaft sprocket bolt. See Figure 2.

graphic

FIGURE 2

10. Remove the primary chain tensioner. See Figure 3.
  11. Remove the primary chain, jackshaft sprocket and crankshaft sprocket. See Figure 3.

graphic

FIGURE 3

12. Remove the camshaft drive cassette. See Figure 4.
    • Remove the upper and lower chain guide bolts.
    • Remove the sprockets and chain.
    • Lift the chain guide up and out of the cylinder head.

graphic

FIGURE 4

CAUTION:
    When cleaning sealing surfaces, be sure to cover the opening to the oil pan area with clean shop cloths to ensure that no gasket material falls into the oil pan area.

13. Using clean shop cloths, block all openings that may allow dirt to enter the oil pan.
  14. Clean all surfaces. Clean all debris from the engine.
  15. Remove all shop cloths placed in the engine.

INSTALLATION

1. NOTE: The camshaft cassette comes assembled, but must be disassembled and the individual components installed separately.

Install the new chain guide through the cylinder head. See Figure 5.

graphic

FIGURE 5

2. Install the new chain.
  3. Install the new chain guide bolts. Tighten the upper bolt to 12 Nm (9 lb-ft) and the lower bolt to 19 Nm (14 lb-ft).
  4. Install the new lower chain sprocket on the jackshaft and the new upper chain sprocket on the camshaft.
  5. Install, but DO NOT tighten, the camshaft sprocket bolt.
  6. Install the primary chain, crankshaft sprocket, jackshaft sprocket and the new jackshaft sprocket bolt.
  7. Install the primary drive chain tensioner. Tighten bolts to 9 Nm (80 lb-in).
  8. Hold the crankshaft from turning with special tool 303-674 and tighten the new jackshaft sprocket bolt in two stages.
    • Stage 1: Tighten the bolt to 45 Nm (33 lb-ft).
    • Stage 2: Tighten the bolt an additional 90 degrees.
  9. NOTE: When performing engine front cover installation, omit step 15 - installing accessory bracket. This will be performed later in the procedure.

Install the engine front cover. Refer to Engine Front Cover in Section 303-01B in the 2001 Workshop Manual.

The following camshaft timing procedure must be read thoroughly and performed exactly as written. The procedure includes information that has been updated from Workshop Manual. Do NOT follow Workshop Manual procedures for cam timing on this engine.

10. NOTE: The special tool must be installed on the damper and should contact the engine block. This positions the engine at TDC.

While observing the timing mark on the damper, turn the crankshaft clockwise to position the number one cylinder at TDC and install Crankshaft Holding Tool T97T-6303-A to hold the crankshaft in position. This will prepare the engine for cam timing. See Figure 6.

graphic

FIGURE 6

11. Install Camshaft Gear Holding Tool T97T-6256-B and Adapter T97T-6256-A onto the RH camshaft sprocket and tighten the top two clamp bolts of the Camshaft Gear Holding Tool T97T-6256-B to 10 Nm (89 lb-in). See Figure 7.

graphic

FIGURE 7

12. CAUTION:
    CAUTION: The RH camshaft sprocket bolt is a left-hand threaded bolt.

Using Camshaft Gear Removal Tool T97T-6256-F, loosen the RH camshaft sprocket bolt. Loosen the top bolts of Camshaft Gear Holding Tool T97T-6256-B. See Figure 8.

graphic

FIGURE 8

13. NOTE: The camshaft timing slots are off center.

Position the camshaft timing slots below the centerline of the camshaft to allow proper installation of Camshaft Holding Tool T97T-6256-C and Adapter T97T-6256-D onto the cylinder head. Then, install both tools onto the cylinder head. See Figure 9.

graphic

FIGURE 9

14. Raise and support the vehicle.
  15. Remove the RH wheel and tire.
  16. Remove the lower splash shield.
  17. Remove the RH camshaft tensioner and install Timing Chain Tensioner Tool T97T-6K254-A. See Figure 10.

graphic

FIGURE 10

18. Remove vehicle supports and lower the vehicle.
  19. CAUTION:
    The RH camshaft sprocket bolt is a left-hand threaded bolt.

NOTE: If Camshaft Gear Removal Tool T97T-6256-F is being used with the torque wrench, keep the torque wrench IN LINE with the tool and tighten the camshaft sprocket to 61 Nm (45 lb-ft). (This tool will amplify the torque). Otherwise, tighten the camshaft sprocket to 85 Nm (63 lb-ft). See Figure 11.

Tighten the top two clamp bolts on Camshaft Gear Holding Tool T97T-6256-B to 10 Nm (89 lb-in). Then, tighten the camshaft sprocket bolt to 85 Nm (63 lb-ft). See Figure 11.

graphic

FIGURE 11

20. Raise and support the vehicle.
  21. Remove Timing Chain Tensioner Tool T97T-6K254-A and install the RH camshaft tensioner with a new washer and tighten to 44 Nm (32 lb-ft).
  22. Install the lower splash shield, wheel and tire and tighten lug nuts to 135 Nm (100 lb-ft) in a star pattern.
  23. Remove vehicle supports and lower the vehicle.
  24. Remove all special tools from the cylinder head.
  25. NOTE: Leave the top two clamp bolts loose on Camshaft Gear Holding Tool T97T-6256-B.

Install the Camshaft Gear Holding Tool T97T-6256-B and Adapter T97T-6256-A onto the LH camshaft sprocket. See Figure 12.

graphic

FIGURE 12

26. CAUTION:
    It is important that the tool be installed correctly. The engine can run badly, with one cam off by 180 degrees.

NOTE: The camshaft timing slots are off center.

Position the camshaft timing slots below the centerline of the camshaft to allow proper installation of Camshaft Holding Tool T97T-6256-C and Adapter T97T-6256-D onto the rear of the LH cylinder head. Then, install both tools onto the cylinder head. See Figure 13.

graphic

FIGURE 13

27. Install Timing Chain Tensioner Tool T97T-6K254-A. See Figure 14.

graphic

FIGURE 14

28. Tighten the top two clamp bolts on Camshaft Gear Holding Tool T97T-6256-B to 10 Nm (89 lb-in). Then, tighten the camshaft sprocket bolt to 85 Nm (63 lb-ft). See Figure 15.

graphic

FIGURE 15

29. Remove the Timing Chain Tensioner Tool T97T-6K254-A and install the LH camshaft tensioner with a new washer and tighten to 44 Nm (32 lb-ft).
  30. Remove all special tools from the cylinder head.
  31. Remove Crankshaft Holding Tool T97T-6303-A from the crankshaft.
  32. Install the accessory bracket. Tighten the four (4) bolts to 42 Nm (31 lb-ft).
  33. Install the radiator. Refer to the service procedure in Section 303-03 in the appropriate Workshop Manual.
  34. Install the engine coolant temperature sensor and tighten to 15 Nm (11 lb-ft). Then, connect the engine coolant temperature connector.
  35. Install the camshaft roller followers. Refer to the service procedure in Section 303-01B in the appropriate Workshop Manual.
  36. If the cassette was broken into several small pieces, proceed directly to "OIL PUMP PICKUP TUBE REPLACEMENT", and skip steps 37 through 39.
  37. If the cassette was NOT broken into several small pieces, perform steps 38 and 39.
  38. If the engine oil was not drained during engine front cover installation, drain the engine oil at this time and remove the oil filter.
  39. Install a new oil filter and fill the engine with new oil. Return the vehicle to the customer.

OIL PUMP PICKUP TUBE REPLACEMENT

NOTE: The purpose of this procedure is to remove as much of the broken guide material from the crankcase as possible. This procedure is to be followed only if the camshaft cassette was found to be broken-up into small pieces.

1. Raise and support the vehicle. Then, drain the oil and remove the oil filter.
  2. Remove the oil pan (lower section). Refer to the service procedures in Section 303-01B in the appropriate Workshop Manual.
  3. Remove the oil pump screen and pickup tube. Refer to the service procedures in Section 303-01B in the appropriate Workshop Manual.
  4. Inspect and clean all debris from the crankcase area.
  5. Clean pickup tube mating surfaces and install the new oil pump screen and pickup tube with a new gasket. Tighten the bolts to 11 Nm (8 lb-ft).
  6. Clean the oil pan, oil pump pickup tube area and all mating surfaces of any debris.
  7. Install the oil pan and install a new gasket as needed. Refer to the service procedures in Section 303-01B in the appropriate Workshop Manual.
  8. Install a new oil filter and fill the engine with new oil.
  9. Remove vehicle supports and lower the vehicle.

Copyright © 2001 FORD MOTOR COMPANY
Published By: Recall/Service Programs Department
Ford Customer Service

lamontgomery, Ford Mechanic
Experience: 14 years experience, 2000-2006 Senior Master, ASE master in Truck and Auto, Level 1 Fire mechanic

There are no cam key ways or timing marks on these engines, you must use the special tools to re time them. This first time I did the job took 3 days with all the special tools. These engines always had problems with the LH timing chain. The newer engines seem to have this weakness corrected.

If you are satisfied with my answer, please accept.

Thank you,

Loy