Ms. Wrench
Ms. Wrench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech, Engine Performance & Diganostic Specialist, Alternative Fuel Expert

2000 ford expedition: rear air..air suspension..a diagnostic right

Customer Question

my 2000 ford expedition rear air suspension went out. i cant afford a diagnostic right now. are there simple things i can look for before if i have to take it to the shop?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ms. Wrench replied 5 years ago.

When you turn on the truck is the pump comping on-can you hear it running? If it is and if it keeps running then you should be able to look under the back of the truck and see where the air is getting out of the bags. There may be a crack in one of the bags or there are solenoids at the top of them that may also leak. If you can't see obviously where the leak is you could spray soapy water and watch for where it bubbles up to find the leak. If the pump is not coming on then you can check it with a test light to see if power is getting to it. If it is and the compressor is not running then you proabably have a bad compressor. If it isnt then you can check the fuses for the system, if you get to that point and still havent found anything then I can post more diagnostic info for you to check farther into the system.

Hope this helps, let me know what you find out.

Thanks for using JA

Ms Wrench

Ms. Wrench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Tech, Engine Performance & Diganostic Specialist, Alternative Fuel Expert
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Reply to Ms. Wrench's Post: I appreciate your help and will accept your answer. I think I hear it coming on but the truck wont raise. periodically i hear this humming type of sound from under the front hood like its trying to work but nothing happens. I'm hoping it wont cost too much to fix this problem. I'm praying that its something simple.

Thanks for accepting. Do you notice any difference in the sound you hear from when it was working?

Ms Wrench

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks again. i will check those things and get back to you. =)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
oops, im sorry i didnt see your reply. im new on this site lol. it sounds the same way just no movement.