lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.
9493671

2003 f150 lariat: sun roof is in the open position and will not close

Customer Question

2003 f150 lariat. my moon/sun roof is in the open position and will not close. when i press the switch to close, i hear a click but nothing else happens. i have already checked the fuse and all the power windows work.
Category: Ford
Expert:  lostrider replied 6 years ago.
here is the pinpoint test for the roof opening panel, hope this helps.
PINPOINT TEST F: THE ROOF OPENING PANEL DOES NOT OPEN OR CLOSE - ONE DIRECTION ONLY
Test StepResult / Action to Take
F1 CHECK THE ROOF OPENING PANEL SWITCH
  • Test the roof opening panel switch; refer to Component Test in this section.
  • Is the roof opening panel switch OK?
Yes
GO to F2.

No
INSTALL a new overhead console. TEST the system for normal operation.
F2 CHECK CIRCUIT 1174 (WH/RD) FOR OPEN
  • Disconnect: Roof opening panel module C921.
  • Disconnect: Overhead console C930.
  • Measure the resistance between roof opening panel module assembly C921 pin 5, circuit 1174 (WH/RD), harness side and overhead console C930 pin 11, circuit 1174 (WH/RD), harness side.
    graphic
  • Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?
Yes
GO to F3.

No
REPAIR the circuit. TEST the system for normal operation.
F3 CHECK CIRCUIT 1175 (TN/RD) FOR OPEN
  • Measure the resistance between roof opening panel module assembly C921 pin 4, circuit 1175 (TN/RD), harness side and overhead console C930 pin 12, circuit 1175 (TN/RD), harness side.
    graphic
  • Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?
Yes
GO to F4.

No
F4 CHECK ROOF OPENING PANEL MOTOR AND MODULE (EARLY BUILD) OR ROOF OPENING PANEL MOTOR/MODULE (LATE BUILD)
  • For early build vehicles, disconnect all roof opening panel motor and module connectors.
  • For late build vehicles, disconnect the roof opening panel motor/module connectors.
  • Check for:
    • corrosion.
    • pushed-out pins.
  • Connect all roof opening panel motor and module connectors and make sure they seat correctly.
  • For late build vehicles, connect the roof opening panel motor/module connectors and make sure they seat correctly.
  • Operate the system and verify the concern is still present.
  • Is the concern still present?
Yes
For early build vehicles, CHECK the jumper harness between the vehicle harness and the roof opening panel motor for opens or shorts. If the jumper harness is not OK, INSTALL a new jumper harness from the roof opening panel motor to the roof opening panel module. TEST the system for normal operation. If the concern is still present, INSTALL a new roof opening panel module. TEST the system for normal operation. If the concern is still present. INSTALL a new roof opening panel motor. TEST the system for normal operation.

For late build vehicles, CHECK the jumper harness between the vehicle harness and the roof opening panel for open or shorted circuits. If the jumper harness is not OK, INSTALL a new jumper harness between the vehicle harness to the roof opening panel motor/module. If the jumper harness is OK, INSTALL a new roof opening panel motor/module.. TEST the system for normal operation.

No
The system is operating correctly at this time. Concern may have been caused by a loose or corroded connector. TEST the system for normal operation.

Component Test

Switch

1. Measure the resistance between the following overhead console connector pins (component side) as follows:

Switch PositionPinResistance Value
    Off10 and 11, 10 and 12Greater than 10,000 ohms
    Up or Closed10 and 12Less than 5 ohms
    Down or Open10 and 11Less than 5 ohms

lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to lostrider's Post: i already have all that information but i dont know where those points are located. i have no wiring diagram. where is that connector located and how do i get to it?
Expert:  lostrider replied 6 years ago.
Look on the drivers door pillar at the vehicle info tag and tell me what the trucks build date is, there are 2 different module configurations based on the build date.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to lostrider's Post: sorry it took so long but the truck isnt here and my granddaughter could not find the tag. any way someone helped her and the date is 10/02.
i need to know where the connectors are and how to get to them
thanks
Expert:  lostrider replied 6 years ago.
Jerry, the early build date sunroofs have a seperate motor and module, the headliner needs to be accessed to do the diagnosis, thats where the connector is.

Roof Opening Panel Module

Removal and Installation

NOTE: This procedure is for early build vehicles only. Late build vehicles use an integrated roof opening panel motor/module.

NOTE: If installing a new roof opening panel module, the original motor and module must be replaced with an integrated motor/module. The new integrated motor/module is part of a kit which contains all the parts and instructions needed to convert the roof opening panel system to use the new type of motor/module. The new motor/module must be initialized before it will operate correctly. Refer to the instructions included with the conversion kit for the initialization procedure.

1. Remove the headliner.
  1. Remove the roof opening panel module.
    1. Disconnect the electrical connectors.
    1. Remove the three tie strap retainers.
    1. Slide the roof opening panel module from the retaining bracket.
  1. graphicTo install, reverse the removal procedure.
    • Install three new tie strap retainers.

Roof Opening Panel Motor - Early Build

Removal

NOTE: If installing a new roof opening panel motor, the original motor and module must be replaced with an integrated motor/module. The new integrated motor/module is part of a kit which contains all the parts and instructions needed to convert the roof opening panel system to use the new type of motor/module. The new motor/module must be initialized before it will operate correctly. Refer to the instructions included with the conversion kit for the initialization procedure.

1. Remove the headliner.
  1. Disconnect the roof opening panel motor electrical connector.
  1. graphicRemove the roof opening panel motor.
    • Remove the three screws.

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so is this a common problem and i should start there?
and does the headliner come out easily and go in easily?

and will the sun/moon roof in the open position going to cause me any problems

any additional advise or pointers you want to give me
Expert:  lostrider replied 6 years ago.
Its a common problem, the early build date motors and modules have been replaced by the later build date motor/module combos, the headliner is fairly easy to remove, just remove all the trim panels necessary, the sunroof in the open position is in its own track and wont cause any interference with testing, the only advise is to take your time and follow the pinpoint test.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you!
Expert:  lostrider replied 6 years ago.
your welcome, when you get to the motor, take a small hammer and tap on it while pressing the close button, if the contacts are stuck that might free them up.