lamontgomery
lamontgomery, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  14 years experience, 2000-2006 Senior Master, ASE master in Truck and Auto, Level 1 Fire mechanic
10921119

2003 Windstar: low tire..tire pressure..The dummy light on the dash

Customer Question

Our 2003 Windstar had low tire pressure. The "dummy light" on the dash came on. We put air in an d fixed the problem, but the light will NOT go off. The dealer said we have to pay $$ to diagnose the problem and more $$$ to fix the problem (which is ONLY the light not turning off). Isn''t there a way to get the light off without paying big bucks???
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 8 years ago.

Hi [email protected].

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer.

The Low Tire Warning (LTW) system must be reset when the tire replacement, system repair ie performed or anytime tire pressure is adjusted. To reset the system, press and hold the "Tire Reset" switch for a minimum of three seconds. The LTW warning lamp will flash 3 times indicating a reset has been initiated.

If the lamp illuminates always reset the tire pressure to specification before resetting

graphicthe system.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
We just tried this (again) and the trip odomoter never goes to "tire reset". It stay on odometer only. Now what?
Expert:  Ron replied 8 years ago.
Then if your sure your pushing the right button try removing the positive battery cable for a few minutes and retry it again.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
We removed the positive battery cable for a few minutes and retried the odometer. It still does not show a tire reset button. AND the tire light remains on.
Expert:  Ron replied 8 years ago.
Then you have something going on that is going to require further diagnosis and the dealer will likely have to perform this . I will relist you question and opt out and see if some one else can offer futher help.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks!
Expert:  Ron replied 8 years ago.
Ive sent it to another Expert . Hopefully he can help you with a solution.
Expert:  lamontgomery replied 8 years ago.

This info I'm going to paste comes strait from the service manual:

Low Tire Warning (LTW) System

The Low Tire Warning (LTW) system detects differences in inflation pressures in one or more tires. The system uses the ABS wheel speed sensors to monitor the rolling radius of the wheel and tire assemblies. If a difference in rolling radius is detected, the ABS module illuminates the LTW lamp located in the instrument cluster. The LTW system must be reset when tire replacement, maintenance, system repair is performed or any time tire pressure is adjusted. To reset the system, press and hold the "Tire Reset" switch for a minimum of three seconds. The LTW warning lamp will flash 3 times indicating a reset has been initiated.

If the lamp illuminates always reset the tire pressure to specification before resetting the system. If the problem persists go to the symptom chart.

The LTW system is not capable of detecting rapid loss of inflation. The system may not detect loss of inflation in more than one tire.

The LTW system can be deactivated. For additional information regarding deactivation, refer to Section 418-01.

Tire and Wheel Runout

Excessive radial and lateral runout of a wheel and tire assembly can cause roughness, vibration, wheel tramp, tire wear, and steering wheel tremor.

Before checking runout, and to avoid false readings caused by temporary flat spots in the tires, check runout only after the vehicle has been driven far enough to warm the tires. For additional information, refer to Section 100-04.

Resetting procedures aren't an exact science (have you ever reset a change oil light on a Ford? You would think they are all the same, but they aren't) Since the instructions say hold the button down for "at least" 3 seconds, to me it means hold the button down until you see the low tire pressure warning light flash.

I hope that was helpful,

Loy

lamontgomery, Ford Mechanic
Experience: 14 years experience, 2000-2006 Senior Master, ASE master in Truck and Auto, Level 1 Fire mechanic
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, we looked at the service manual and followed their advice at least 4 X before emailing you! The "tire reset" NEVER displays on the odometer dial, and the "low tire pressure" warning light NEVER displays either.
What to do?
Does the trip/odometer button work? Are you able to toggle to the trip odometer and reset that to zero?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, we can reset to zero. And the odometer works.
Has the battery gone dead recently?
I mean, has the battery gone dead before you had this problem? Is the ABS light on?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No, we unhooked the battery to see IF that would reset the light, as per Ron's (your cohort) suggested. NO the ABS light is not on.

Is "cohort" meant to be a compliment?

Ron and I have done the best we could do without actually being there to see the car and hooking up a scantool. The low tire warning is a part of the instrument cluster programing. You verified that the trip button works, and you held it for more than 3 seconds, this may idicate that it may just need to be reconfigured. That can only be done with a factory scantool.

Good luck

Loy

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks,
The unfortunate part is, the dealer charges $75 to hook it up to the scantool and then a minimum of $250 to fix it, according to them. When all that needs done is to turn off the light, that kind of money is hard to give up, esp. when my husband is out of work. AND we want to sell the van to get something smaller.
You earned your money, thanks anyway for trying.
Expert:  Ford Expert replied 8 years ago.

If you are satisfied with the information I have provided "Please click "Accept". This does not close the session.

The small fee that is paid here (that you selected) is far less than a dealer would charge for diagnostics so please click accept. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Try and go to Autozone or your local parts store. They can read a scan codes, usually for free. If the system has an fault code that cannot be erased then you will need to go to the Dealer, otherwise get them to try and reset. The ABS module must be tested separately or all modules tested for continious fault codes together.

I know where you are coming from. In the dealers defense, the $250 estimate is probably a worst case scenario. The warning light will not effect the safe operation of the van. I'm sorry that we could not find a solution for the problem that does not need the use of a factory scantool.