lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.
9493671

I have a2005 Ford F-150. The rear sliding window stopped ...

I have a2005 Ford F-150. The rear sliding window stopped working. I have checked the #401 breaker-it is good but the window won''t slide. I am 11 days off of warranty and the Ford dealer wants $85.00 just to look at the problem even though they admit they have lots of problems with this.
Category: Ford
Expert:  lostrider replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomerthe problem is going to be the motor assembly, there is a Ford TSB out for the concern, here is a copy for you to look at, the rear seat back has to be removed to access the motor, and its a real pain, there are two clips that has to be released and the seat back will slide up and pull out, here is a diagram of the retaining clips also.
Printable View (194 KB)
TSB
07-12-1
  • POWER SLIDING REAR WINDOW MOTOR REPLACEMENT
Publication Date: June 5, 2007

FORD:2005-2007 F-150
LINCOLN:2006-2007 Mark LT

ISSUE:

Some 2005-2007 F-150 and Mark LT vehicles equipped with a power rear sliding window may require motor replacement. When servicing the power rear sliding window, it is now possible to replace only the power rear sliding motor when necessary. In the past, the motor was not serviced separately, and required replacement of the motor and cable assembly.

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to service the power sliding motor separate from the window assembly.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Following Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 501-11 for power sliding window diagnostics and if the motor assembly has been identified for replacement, use the following procedure.

1. Remove interior trim to access the power slider motor and cable assembly.
  2. Remove the three (3) bolts attaching the steel bracket, motor and cable assembly to the body panel. (Figure 1)

graphic
    Figure 1 - Article 07-12-1

3. Carefully remove the three (3) bolts attaching the steel bracket to the plastic cable housing (Figure 2).

graphic
    Figure 2 - Article 07-12-1

4. Hold the plastic cable housing and motor together, place a screw driver between the drum (located in the cable housing) and the motor housing (Figure 3) and pry the motor away from the drum, making sure the drum stays inside the plastic cable housing. The drum must stay inside the plastic cable housing for this procedure. (Firgure 4)

graphic
    Figure 3 - Article 07-12-1

graphic
    Figure 4 - Article 07-12-1

5. When ready to install the new motor, align the motor gear splines onto the drum and press the motor into place, making sure there is proper alignment of the attachment bolt holes.
  6. After the new motor has been properly aligned to the plastic cable housing, position and install the steel plate and reinstall the three (3) attachment bolts holding the plastic cable housing, the motor and the steel plate together.
  7. Attach steel bracket to body panel with three (3) bolts.
  8. Reinstall all trim.

PART NUMBERPART NAME
7L3Z-5423394-ARear Window Motor Asy

1. NOTE: There are retaining clips that must be released to remove the rear seat backrest.

NOTE: The rear seat backrest trim cover and foam pad is removed for clarity.

To locate the retaining clips, align a screwdriver with the inboard portion of the outboard LATCH attachment points. Be careful not to damage the seat trim covers. Make contact with the rounded portion of the backrest frame and work the screwdriver upward until the screwdriver clears the rounded portion of the backrest frame. At this point the screwdriver should be located at the access hole. Press down on the backrest slightly (this is crucial, otherwise the retaining clip may not release), press the screwdriver rearward to release the retaining clip, then lift the backrest upward. Repeat this process to release the other side of the backrest.

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
do you know if this should be covedered by ford even though it is out of warranty by 11 days.
Expert:  lostrider replied 6 years ago.

heres what the warrenty coverage is as far as the TSB is concerned, But the Service Manager has the power to cover a part that has a known history of failure up to 75000 miles, but its up to him, he holds all the cards.Its called a good will repair.

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.