lamontgomery
lamontgomery, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  14 years experience, 2000-2006 Senior Master, ASE master in Truck and Auto, Level 1 Fire mechanic
10921119

I HAVE FORD RANGER 2002 WITH THE CODE P1451VENT ...

Customer Question

I HAVE FORD RANGER 2002 WITH THE CODE P1451VENT CONTROL VALVE SYSTEM FAULT BUT THERE IS NOT SUCH VALVE IN VEHICLE PLEASE HELP
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
Hi there!The vent control code indicates you have a leak in the evap system.You need to have the evap system smoke tested to find the leak.The computer is just saying there is a open hole in the system because it can't pull a vaccum when it does the self test.Check the label under the hood to make sure there is not a vent control valve,most vehicles have them and they are usually located next to the charcol canister.The smoke check will show the location of the leak quickly and once diagnosed you may be able to perform the repair and save a few dollars.Hope this helps!Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the smoke test is been done no leaks were found and obout he vent control valve does not have it i called the dealer.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.

OK.The next thing to look at is the pressure sensor then.You will need a scanner to view it,but if the system doesn't have a leak then the pressure sensor may not be working or sending false info to the pcm.You usually can watch the pressure sensor voltage change with the pressure in the evap system,if it doesn't change then the ecm will see it as a leak in the system.
Expert:  lamontgomery replied 6 years ago.

I'm sorry for butting in, but I looked up this code in the Ford PCED:

DTC 1451 is for an electrical fault in the cannister vent solenoid circuit. The canister vent solenoid is mounted to the charcoal canister above the spare tire.

graphic

If the circuits check out good (No shorts to ground, power or opens) you probably have a faulty cannister vent solenoid.

Thanks,

Loy

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
this truck doesn't have a cannister vent solenoid, even by dealer i've been told that doesn't have one. I see the conector but no solenoid

There should be an EVAP canister mounted above the cross member where the spare tire is mounted (it's a cylindrical shape, black and plastic). The Canister vent solenoid just snaps into the evap canister. If you just see a 2 wire electrical connector hanging there, that would be causing P1451. I'm 100% sure that this truck has a canister vent solenoid because I have repaired many P0457 (Small evap leak detected) DTCs caused by this valve not being properly seated into the evap canister on Rangers, for some reason they pop loose.

graphic

Looks like someone removed it from the truck.

Thanks,

Loy

lamontgomery, Ford Mechanic
Experience: 14 years experience, 2000-2006 Senior Master, ASE master in Truck and Auto, Level 1 Fire mechanic