Richard, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford Lincoln/Mercury and Jaguar dealer as a technician and shop foreman.
10437779

how to replace a mass air flow sensor on a 2002 windstar

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Ford
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

The Mass Air Flow sensor is located inside the air filter housing. Here is the procedure on replacing the sensor.

Hopefully this answers your question and you accept. Positive feedback is appreciated and please let me know if I can assist you with anything else.

REMOVAL

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.
  2. Open the air cleaner.

• Disconnect the MAF sensor extension harness connector from the wiring harness.
      • Release the air cleaner clamp.
      • Separate the inlet side of the air cleaner from the outlet side of the air cleaner.

CAUTION: Do not tamper with the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensing elements located in the airflow bypass. Tampering may result in unit failure.

NOTE: The MAF sensor module and body are calibrated and serviced as a unit.

graphic

graphic

1. Cut the tape on the wire loom of the extension harness.
    • Peel back the wire loom from the extension harness near the grommet in the air cleaner.
    • Remove the grommet from the outlet side of the air cleaner and slide the grommet down the extension harness.

graphic

• Remove the MAF sensor plate and MAF sensor from the outlet side of the air cleaner.
  • Disconnect the MAF sensor electrical connector from the extension harness.
  • graphic

graphic

1. Separate the MAF sensor plate from the MAF sensor.
      • Remove the nuts from the MAF sensor.

graphic

INSTALLATION

1. To install, reverse the removal procedure. CAUTION: The grommet used to seal the engine air cleaner housing at the extension harness must be fully seated. Failure to do so will result in unmetered air entering the engine. NOTE: Use the alignment notch to correctly align the inlet side and the outlet side of the air cleaner.