Vincent
Vincent, Ford Senior Master Technician
Experience:  28 years as Tech.
8606210

I HAVE A 2000 FORD WINDSTAR AND MY POWER SEAT ON THE ...

Customer Question

I HAVE A 2000 FORD WINDSTAR AND MY POWER SEAT ON THE DRIVERS SIDE HAS QUIT. WE HAVE CHECKED THE FUSE AND IT IS GOOD.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Vincent replied 6 years ago.
Does the seat move in any direction at all, like up / down?
Expert:  Vincent replied 6 years ago.
Without any more information, the most common cause is the seat motors. On this vehicle, that means a track assembly. The drivers seat gets the most use and therefore the motors fail on that seat before the ones on the passenger side. This is the case on all vehicles. Sadly the motors are not replacable seperately.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Vincent's Post: No the seat does not move up/down
Expert:  Vincent replied 6 years ago.

In order to diagnose the problem you are going to need a test light or a volt meter.

You will want to access the connector at the switch and check for 12 volts at the Dark Green wire. If you do not have power at that wire, then you need to check the 40 amp fuse at position 104 in the battery junction box.

If the fuse is okay, then you have an open circuit between the battery junction box and the seat.

If you have power at the seat switch, then check the ground. Take the test light and connect the end to the power circuit and probe the black wire at the seat. If the light lights up then ground is okay.

If you have power at the seat switch and ground is okay, then you will need to test the switch. Using the test light and probing the switch, you are looking for power going through each of the switches. For expample if you press the forward button, you should have 12 volts at the yellow wire with the white stripe. If the seat switch passes, you will need to replace the power seat frame.

If you do not have the equipment, I would recommend allowing a shop to diagnose the vehicle.