AlvinC
AlvinC, Ford Technician
Experience:  With Ford 20+years as Dealership Technician Ford Senior Master Technician Gas and Diesel

I have a F350 7.3 liter. I have a fuel leak on the back of ...

I have a F350 7.3 liter. I have a fuel leak on the back of the filter housing coming off a line that has for a lack of a better word has what looks like a wire mesh around where it connects to the housing. Is this something I can fix myself?
Category: Ford
Expert:  AlvinC replied 6 years ago.
Customer What year is your F350? Where do you see it leaking? Please let me know and we will find a olution to your problem, Al
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to AlvinC's Post: Its 1999 F350 7.3 Liter. If you are facing the truck looking under the hood. The leak is on the back side of the fuel filter housing coming from a line that appears to have some sort of wire mesh around the line at the connection. The line connects directly to the housing on the fuel filter. I cannot tell how it connects to the filter because of this mesh at the connection.
Expert:  AlvinC replied 6 years ago.
CustomerIf you are facing the truck looking under the hood. If the line is to the left rear of the fuel filter housing, that is the drain for your water separator. The valve may have been bumped and open, but they have also been known to leak. Make sure the water in fuel drain valve is closed all the way. It is located just above the line we are refering to. I hope this helps, if not let me know and we will keep at it, Al
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is definately the line you were talking about. The valve was closed all the way. It is definately leaking at the line you were talking about. Looks like at the connection. Do you think I can fix this myself or should I take it to my mechanic. I do alot of work myself but if the job is to big or I could really mess it up I take it to my Mechanic. Thank you for all your help in advance.

Expert:  AlvinC replied 6 years ago.
Eric, It really is not that bad, You just need to replace the valve which you can get from your dealer. Disconnect the ground cable on both batteries, I'm not sure if you have a intake heater or not, but if you do there will be 2 relays to the left of your filter housing if not you will only have one. Remove the to (10mm) nuts on each relay mount and set aside relays, Disconnect the 2 fuel lines on lower left of filter housing (9/16). Disconnect the 2 lines on the right side of the housing. One is 11/16 the other 3/4. In the front going thru the oil reseviour are 2 13mm bolts remove these and remove the housing. Replace the valve and reverse to put back together. Make sure when you get the replacement valve get the o-ring kit for the lines and replace them it's like $13.00. I hope this helps, Al
AlvinC, Ford Technician
Experience: With Ford 20+years as Dealership Technician Ford Senior Master Technician Gas and Diesel