Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

2000 Ford Explorer how do you open the tailgate, when ...

Customer Question

2000 Ford Explorer: how do you open the tailgate, when mechanism is broken and door is closed? Most heard answer, take off the interior panel. OK, Rocket Scientist, have you ever seen a 2000 explorer, you can''t take the entirior panel off without gate open.
Submitted: 8 years ago via
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 8 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris, a current Ford Lincoln Mercury employee.

Thanks for coming to our website Just Answer. I will do my best to help you resolve your concerns. I try my hardest to respond in a timely matter and I will respond to any reply anytime I am online. If you choose to reply after an answer is posted to say Thanks. Please include "I accept the answer" in your text

You can get the interior trim panel off with the door closed. Its not easy and sometimes the panel breaks from the extensive bending and prying needed. You jut need to get at least one hand in to manually operate the latch and get the door open.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Chris (aka- Moose)'s Post: Thanks Moose, But I would think I could get the gate open without tearing up the interior. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX do not think this is the way I will proceed.
OK good luck to you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
new question, what is the little dial with knob on left side of cluster, just left of odometer rest button,
Can you take a picture and send it to me so I know what your referring to?