Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

How do I find TDC on a 5.0 HO 1989 Mustang. Im a ...

How do I find TDC on a 5.0 HO 1989 Mustang. I'm a dummy so please be specific as what to do..

Hi .

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer.

Remove the number one spark plug (first one passenger side) and stick you finger over the spark plug hole and have a helper bump the engine over in short bumps. As the piston starts coming up on the compression stroke you will feel air pumping out (this is the compression stroke) Then Look at the harmonic balancer and when it get to Zero degrees it must align with the pointer on the timing cover. This is Top Dead center.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
should no. 1 piston be at the top end of the stroke
Yes it has to be completely at the top on the compression stroke and when it is the pointer will be right on Zero.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am timing the distributor. I assume that is then when the rotor should be pointed at #1 plug wire??? Is that correct??

Is there anything else I should do to complete the timing?
Yes when you have it in right it will point right at the #1 cylinder and sometime this takes a couple of tries.