Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

2003 Ford Ranger A/C not working Compressor clutch not ...

Customer Question

2003 Ford Ranger A/C not working Compressor clutch not engaging although two weeks ago it did engage for ~ 30 minutes I checked for power at the compressor plug only got 4-6 volts
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer.

Swap the A/C clutch relay with a similar relay and recheck operation. If the clutch now works, replace the faulty relay.

If the compressor still does not come on, verify there is battery voltage to terminal #3 of the relay from fuse #25. If OK, jump terminal #3 to #5 in the engine compartment fuse box to bypass the relay (with the relay removed) and check the compressor operation.

If the compressor still does not run, leaving the jumper in place, check for battery voltage on the Gray/White (GY/WH) wire at the compressor. If battery voltage is not present, locate and repair the open circuit between the relay and the compressor.
If battery voltage is present, check the Black (BK) wire for a good ground. Repair the ground as needed and recheck operation.
If the ground is good, battery voltage is present on the GY/WH wire but the clutch is not engaging, suspect a bad clutch coil.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Ron's Post: Where is the relay located
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
where is the compressor relay located
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Im sorry I should have sent the location as well . Here you go.graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Ron's Post: This diagram looks nothing like the one for my truck
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.

This is a 2003 right?

and this relay panel is in the under hood fuse panel.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Ron's Post: yes
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
I have rechecked it and the diagram is correct for a 2003. Your looking under the hood in the Battery junction box right?
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Here is the location and remember it will have a cover on it.graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Maybe I'm not lokig in the right place. In the engine compartment, drivers side, there is a fuse box with fuses and relays. It is not configured like the diagram. Is this the right box? Thank you for the earlier response. I bought a relay and randomly replaced each of the 3 since the diagram does not match the fuse box configuration in the truck )?). No luck. Am I in the right location?
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Yes it should look just like the one I sent , drivers side near fire wall.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Ron's Post: Ron,

I've located the fuse box however it is not configured as in the diagram you sent. There are two partitions of fuses, a series of 12 small relays and 3 larger relays at the closest location to the firewall that are the same as the AC Relay I bought. I've tried swapping out all 3 with the new one, no luck. How do I determine which one is the AC relay so I can jump the terminals as you suggest? I appreciate your time and will compensate you appropriately.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Im sot sure what to tell you as the diag I sent is for the 2003 Ranger. Let me look at 2002 just in case your build date is different. Here is the 2002graphic