Randall    (Cheeko)
Randall (Cheeko), Certified Mechanic Ford Motor Co.
Experience:  18 years as a Ford tech and still going
3075798

how do you remove gas tank of a ford ranger 1992

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall (Cheeko) replied 6 years ago.

Hi, below is the information, thanks

Tank Assembly

Ford Ranger/Explorer/1991-1999

REMOVAL

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable and relieve the fuel system pressure.
  2. Siphon or pump as much fuel as possible out through the fuel filler pipe.

Fuel injected vehicles have reservoirs inside the fuel tank to maintain fuel near the fuel pick-up during cornering or low-fuel operation. These reservoirs could block siphon hoses or tubes from reaching the bottom of the fuel tank. Repeated attempts, using different hose orientations, can overcome this obstacle.

1. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  2. If equipped, remove the skid plate attaching bolts, then lower the plate and remove it.

On Explorer/Mountaineer models, the front fuel tank strap is bolted to the skid plate and will be disconnected when the plate is removed.

1. Disconnect the fuel fill and vent hoses connecting the filler pipe to the tank.
  2. On vehicles equipped with a metal retainer fastening the filler pipe to the fuel tank, remove the screw holding the retainer to the fuel tank flange.
  3. Disengage the fuel lines and the electrical connections to the fuel tank sending unit/fuel pump assembly. On some vehicles, these are inaccessible on top of the tank. In this case, they must be disconnected when the tank is partially lowered.
  4. Place a safety support (such as a floor jack) under the fuel tank and remove the bolts from the fuel tank straps. Allow the straps to swing out of the way. Be careful not to deform the fuel tank.

On Ranger vehicles, the rear fuel tank strap has two connections which must be unbolted.

1. Lower the tank a few inches, then detach the fuel lines and electrical connection from the sending unit/fuel pump assembly, if required.
  2. Remove the tank from the vehicle.

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the tank is not the same.. longer in length