chris
chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience
9504203

2001 ford ranger air bag code 47 ...

2001 ford ranger has a air bag code 47 what is wrong with the system and what is needed to correct the code the ford part number
Category: Ford
Expert:  chris replied 6 years ago.

Hi there

Code 47 is for the r/f seat belt buckle--the seat belt buckle has a explosive in it that pulls the buckle down to tighten up the seat belt when you get into an accident--take a look under the r/f seat and take a look at the wire to the r/f seat belt buckle ,,just in case they are broken or unpluged -the wires are YELLOW / BLACK and YELLOW / RED ---there is also a TSB out for this that the conector under the seat has high resistance and they wont you to clean the conector --any more info just ask , we can go back and fourth on this page

Printable View (65 KB)
TSB
04-2-4
  • BODY - SAFETY BELT PRETENSIONER DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTC) B1877 AND/OR B1881
  • ELECTRICAL - SAFETY BELT PRETENSIONER DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTC) B1877 AND/OR B1881
Publication Date: January 23, 2004

FORD:2001-2003 RANGER

This article supersedes TSB 03-6-9 to update the service procedure.

ISSUE:

Some vehicles may exhibit the Airbag Warning Lamp illuminated and Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's) B1877 (Driver Pretensioner Circuit Resistance High) and/or B1881 (Passenger Pretensioner Circuit Resistance High), indicating a high resistance in the Safety Belt Pretensioner Circuit. Workshop Manual diagnostic routines may not identify the wiring connector as the cause. This issue may be caused by fretting/oxidation/corrosion in the wiring terminals in connector C3014 on the driver side seat bottom or C303 on the passenger side seat bottom near each safety belt pretensioner assembly.

ACTION:

To service, clean the safety belt pretensioner connector terminals and tape off the wiring to isolate the harness connector and terminals from stress and vibration. Even if a DTC is received for only one pretensioner, perform the rerouting and anchoring for both sides. Refer to the following Service Procedure.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Depower the Supplemental Restraint System following the Depowering Procedure in Section 501-20B General Procedures of the Workshop Manual.
  2. Slide the driver and passenger seats forward to allow access to the pretensioner connectors mounted to the rear of the seat bottom.
  3. Disconnect connectors C3014 and C303 from the seat side of the wire harness.
  4. Bend the driver side 14401 harness over the wire harness connector and apply tape as shown (Figure 1). Repeat for the passenger side harness and connector as shown (Figure 2). Be sure to orient the wire on the connector as illustrated or the wire harness may bind after installation.
  5. Spray Deoxit (#D5S-6) Electrical Contact Cleaner/Lubricant on both pins in the male and female sides of the connectors. Spray for two seconds into each connector side to load the terminal pins.

NOTE:DEOXIT SPRAY (D5S-6) CAN BE OBTAINED BY CALLING CAIG LABROTORIES, INC. AT(NNN) NNN-NNNN(PACIFIC TIME). ONE SPRAY CONTAINER COULD POTENTIALLY TREAT 200-300 VEHICLES.

6. Wipe off any excess liquid from the exterior of the connectors and harnesses and reconnect both C3014 and C303.
  7. Repower the supplemental restraint system following the repowering procedure in Section 501-20B General Procedures of the Workshop Manual.
  8. Clear all Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) from the Restraints Control Module (RCM) and retest.

PART NUMBERPART NAME
D5S-6Deoxit Spray - Electrical Contact Cleaner/Lubricant

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:

NONE

SUPERSEDES:

03-6-9

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

OPERATIONDESCRIPTIONTIME
040204AClean The Safety Belt Pretensioner Connector Terminals (Includes Time To Check For Codes, Depower The Supplemental Restraint System, Clean Terminals On Both Seats, Then Repower Supplemental Restraint System, Clear Codes And Retest0.6 Hr.

DEALER CODING

BASIC PART NO.CONDITION CODE
14401X2

Figure 1 - Article 04-2-4

Figure 2 - Article 04-2-4

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2004 Ford Motor Company

chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience