HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  23 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

i have a 1994 ford f150 4x4 with automatic locking hubs and ...

Customer Question

i have a 1994 ford f150 4x4 with automatic locking hubs and have to replace the hub and spindle is there any diagrams on how how to do this properly?
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 6 years ago.

To replace the spindle you will have to disassemble/seperate it from the front suspension.Here is directions below for the hub and rotor:

graphic

1. Separate cap assembly from body assembly by removing the five capscrews, using Torx bit TX25 or equivalent. from the cap assembly.
  2. Remove cover.

Caution : Do not drop spring, ball bearing, bearing race, or retainer.

1. Remove rubber seal.
  2. Remove seal bridge retainer (small metal stamping) from retainer ring space.
  3. Remove retainer ring by closing the ends with needlenose pliers while pulling hub lock from wheel hub. If wheel hub and spindle are to be removed:
  4. Remove C-washer from stub shaft groove.
  5. Remove splined spacer from shaft.
  6. Remove wheel bearing locknuts and lockwasher.

Installation

1. Adjust wheel bearings. Refer to Adjustments in this section for procedure.
  2. Install the splined spacer and the C-washer on the axle shaft.

Note : Remove excessive grease from hub lock and hub splines prior to installation.

1. Start hub lock assembly into hub, making sure the large fangs are lined up with the lockwasher and the outside diameter and inside diameter splines are in line with the hub and axle shaft splines.
  2. Install retainer ring by closing the ends with needle nose pliers, at the same time, push hub lock assembly into the hub.
  3. Install seal bridge retainer (small metal stamping) with narrow end first.
  4. Install rubber seal over hub lock.
  5. Install cover (make sure ball bearing, spring, bearing race and retainer are in place).
  6. Tighten the 5 screws to 4.5-5.6 N.m (40-50 in-lb) using Torx Bit TX25 or equivalent in following sequence: tighten one skip one, etc.

Spindle removal:

graphic

Removal

1. Raise the vehicle and install safety stands.
  2. Remove the wheels and tires.
  3. On vehicles equipped with 4-wheel Anti-Lock Brakes (ABS) , remove the front brake anti-lock sensor from the steering knuckle.

CAUTION: After removal, the disc brake caliper must be wired to the frame or otherwise supported to prevent suspending the disc brake caliper by the flexible hose. If securing the disc brake caliper is not practical, disconnect the brake hose from the disc brake caliper. Plug the hose end to prevent fluid loss and entry of air into the system. Upon installation of the disc brake caliper, bleed the brake system.

1. Remove the disc brake caliper. Securely wire the disc brake caliper to the frame.
  2. Remove hub locks, wheel bearings, and locknuts.
  3. Remove the front disc brake hub and rotor and front wheel bearing from the front wheel spindle.
  4. Remove the nuts retaining the front wheel spindle to the steering knuckle. Tap the front wheel spindle with a nylon or rawhide hammer to jar the front wheel spindle from the knuckle. Remove the front disc brake rotor shield.

graphic

1. On the LEFT side of the vehicle remove the shaft and joint assembly by pulling the assembly out of the carrier.
  2. On the RIGHT side of the carrier, remove and discard the keystone clamp from the shaft and joint assembly and the stub shaft.

graphic

• Slide the rubber boot onto the stub shaft and pull the shaft and joint assembly from the splines of the stub shaft.
  • Place the front wheel spindle in a vise on the SECOND step of the front wheel spindle. Wrap a shop towel around the front wheel spindle or use a brass-jawed vise to protect the front wheel spindle
  • graphic

Remove the integral spacer/seal and needle bearing from the front wheel spindle with an Impact Slide Hammer and Bearing Cup Puller

1. Inspect the sealing surfaces of the front wheel spindle for severely corroded, pitted, worn or galled sealing surfaces. Replace front wheel spindle if damaged.
    2. Inspect the outer shaft of the axle shaft assembly for corroded, pitted, worn, or galled surfaces in the inner oil seal or needle bearing areas. If damaged, replace the outer shaft. Repair axle shaft U-joint.

Installation

1. Clean all dirt and grease from the bearing bore of the front wheel spindle. Bearing bores must be free from nicks and burrs.

graphic

NOTE: Replacement spindle bearings are shipped with a corrosion-preventive gel. This is not a lubricant. The bearing must be cleaned and replaced with the specified lubricant.

1. Install a new needle bearing with writing facing outward in the bore of the front wheel spindle with a Spindle Bearing Replacer and Driver Handle. Lubricate the bearing with high temperature 4x4 Front Axle and Wheel Bearing Grease.
    2. Install a new integral spacer needle bearing seal. Pack bearing and spindle hub seal with grease. Install seal with a Seal Replacer and Driver Handle

graphic

Install the Rolling Diaphragm Seal on the axle shaft. The lip of the seal should face TOWARD the front wheel spindle. Seat the rolling diaphragm seal by lightly tapping on the inner sheet metal lip of the seal with a straight punch to make sure it is sealed squarely.

1. Lightly coat the thrust face of the lips of the seal bore of the front wheel spindle and the Rolling Diaphragm Seal on the axle shaft with High Temperature 4x4 Front Axle and Wheel Bearing Grease.

NOTE: Since the splines on the shaft are phased, there is only ONE WAY to assemble the RIGHT shaft and joint through the knuckle and into the slip-yoke.

1. On the RIGHT side of the carrier, install the rubber boot and new keystone clamps on the stub shaft slip-yoke.
    2. Align the missing spline in the slip-yoke barrel with the gapless male spline on the shaft and joint assembly.
    3. Slide the right shaft and joint assembly through the knuckle and into the slip-yoke making sure the splines are fully engaged.
    4. Slide the boot over the assembly and crimp the keystone clamp using Keystone Clamp Pliers.
    5. On the LEFT side of the carrier slide the shaft and joint through the knuckle and engage the splines on the shaft in the carrier.

NOTE: Make sure the grease seal lip totally encircles the front wheel spindle.

1. Install the front disc brake rotor shield and front wheel spindle onto the steering knuckle, both sides. Install and tighten the nuts of the front wheel spindle to 81 N-m (60 ft-lb) for Model 50 axle, or 47 N-m (35 ft-lb) for Model 44 axle.
    2. Install the front disc brake hub and rotor on the front wheel spindle. Install the outer wheel bearing into the cup.
    3. Install the wheel bearing, locknut, front wheel outer bearing retainer washer, snap ring and locking hubs.
    4. Install the front disc brake caliper.
    5. On vehicles equipped with 4-wheel ABS, install the front brake anti-lock sensor on the steering knuckle.