Vincent
Vincent, Ford Senior Master Technician
Experience:  28 years as Tech.
8606210

98 expedition: The theft light started blinking when we..keys

Customer Question

I have 98 expedition. The theft light started blinking when we went to start it up. Used both set of keys with no luck. HELP please!!!
Category: Ford
Expert:  Vincent replied 6 years ago.

Try tilting the steering wheel. However you may have to wait for about 1/2 hour as the PATS system may have locked you out of attempting to start the truck.

The most common problem with what you have is the PATS (Passive AntiTheft System) Transponder has failed. However where they normally fail is the wires running down the steering column. Tilting the steering wheel, will sometimes get the keys to communicate and the truck to start.

If that works, replacing the transponder (which comes with the wires) will take care of the problem. The transponder mounts around the ignition lock cylinder and is what reads the key codes.

Vincent, Ford Senior Master Technician
Experience: 28 years as Tech.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hey Vincent:
Thanks for getting with me. I tried tilting the steering wheel, moving the gear shift lever, diconnecting the battery(to reset computer), no good. I replaced the transponder and that didn't work either. PLEASE HELP!
Expert:  Vincent replied 6 years ago.

And the theft light is flashing quickly and constantly?

If that is the case then the computer has lost the programming. Do the gauges work? (ie do they come off of key off position. the gauges when the key is off, should set a little lower then they do when the key is on)

Also I want you to check the fuse at locations 15 (5 amp) and 30 (30 amp) in the junction block/fuse block (under the left side of the dash).

If all that is okay, your only option will be to go to a dealership and have them test the system. There are certain things that we can do at a dealership that cannot be done anywhere else. This is especially true of that antitheft system.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Dear Vincent:

You are a technician GOD. I went out and tried your suggestion with the fuses and checking the gauges. I left the key in the on position for a few minutes; This must have reset the computer. I NOW HAVE MY GREEN MONSTER BACK TO LIFE. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX thank you!!!
Expert:  Vincent replied 6 years ago.

I don't know about a god, but I am glad that you got the truck back up and running.

Thank you!