Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

No Comment Added

No Comment Added
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer.

What code are getting?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i took it to a garage and they put it on a computer, it read faulty egr valve.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer.

The 1992 Explore shows no listing for an EGR valve. Are you sure on the year and the Engine size? Do you know the code they where getting. Something is amiss here

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i m thinking the same thing. what its doing is whether you have the engine in park or your driving it the engine after a few minutes will slowly chug down till it dies, i took it to a garage they checked it and that was what it came up with if its not the egr valve what could it be?
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
This sounds more like a fuel pressure issue to me and is more likely. Is the check engine light coming on and did they check fuel pressure? How long has it been since you replaced the fuel filter? Does it restart right away. Are you loosing power?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no they did nt check the fuel pressure, the check engine light is not coming on, replaced the fuel filter last summer. it does start right back up and i m not loosing power.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Well a weak fuel pump will not in most case turn the check engine light on and Even low pressure is might restart. I would start with checking the filter and monitor fuel pressure. Normal pressure on your 4.0 should be 32 to 35 PSI. This sounds like a fuel pressure concern to me. This type of problem usually shows up when the weather get warmer.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs