Steve S
Steve S, Ford Technician
Experience:  10 years in Ford Dealership, Certified in: Auto Trans, Diesel Engines, Climate Control, Electrical D

2003 ford focus, wont start ,motor turns over ...

2003 ford focus, won''t start ,motor turns over but the belt does not turn
Category: Ford
Expert:  Steve S replied 8 years ago.
Hi thereCustomer I am assuming no work was done to this vehicle and then these symptoms arouse. If the engine actually does turn over and the serpentine b elt actually does not move then I would have to look at the crankshaft pulley. These are not keyed to the crankshaft like they should be they are just held tight with a bolt. If that bolt has come loose or the pulley is damaged then the belt will not turn while cranking because that pulley drives the belt. Just make sure that no other pulleys are damaged or the belt is not damaged. But if there is a concern with the crankshaft bolt or pulley then the vehicle will have to be retimed with special tools that I assume you do not have. Do not just tighten it back up. Steve