Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

transmission in my 1994 f150 is slipping real bad whats the problem

the transmission in my 1994 f150 is slipping real bad whats the problem

Hello, I'm Chris, a current Ford Lincoln Mercury employee.

Thanks for coming to our website Just Answer. I will do my best to help you resolve your concerns. I try my hardest to respond in a timely matter and I will respond to any reply anytime I am online. If you choose to reply after an answer is posted to say Thanks. Please include "I accept the answer" in your text

• Which trans do you have?
  • Which gears are slipping?
  • Was the previous fluid burnt or discolored?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
its a (E40D) trans
seems to be sliping in 3rd and 4th as well as overdrive this is an automatic trans
no it has been changed prior to flushing
Since it slips in 3rd and 4th gears this means the torque converter clutch can be at fautl or the direct clutch is the source. You will need a scan tool to monitor turbine shaft speed compared to rpm to see if the TCC is the source. If it is found to be ok then there is a internal concern requiring overhaul and close examination of the direct clutch.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Chris (aka- Moose)'s Post: so would driving it with overdrive off help any until i get the problem fixed???????
If the converter clutch is at fault then 2nd gear is the highest you can achieve to limit damage. Since the clutch engages in 3rd and 4th. If the direct clutch is at fault then you also cant go past 2nd. Since the direct clutch is used in 3rd and 4th gears.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ok im not that great of a mechanic if this is for sure the problem how much would this cost
AN overhaul will run about 2000$ at a ford dealership.