Glenn
Glenn, Senior Master Ford Tech
Experience:  26 years exp with Ford Products, ASE Master Auto & Truck + advanced engine perf L1/L2 Gas & Diesel

I own a 2004 Ford Explorer XLT V6 which I bought new. The ...

Customer Question

I own a 2004 Ford Explorer XLT V6 which I bought new. The A/C unit was never excellent, but for some time it has been just poor. A mechanic was rideing with me last week, and I asked him about it. He noticed that when he changed from Max/AC to defrost, or anywhere in between, the airflow did not change...it continues to blow out all vents, including the defrost vents. Plus, while the air is cold, and the blower is loud on setting #4, the air does not blow out the vents very hard. He suggested that I check the A/C filter (air cabin filter?) and that either a vacuum hose in the A/C unit was off, or electrical connection in the A/C switch was not working. I have since learned that my car does not have a cabin filter. So...what is your best guess as to why I have these two problems (A/C blows loud, but not strong out of the vets, and won''t change settings)?
Category: Ford
Expert:  lostrider replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomerand thank you for your question, the concern your having is a common one, what has happened is the fresh air door has broke, and is laying down blocking the air flow, the dash has to come out of the truck for this repair, its a major job, it takes approx 8hours and the part is about $50.00. hope this helps.
lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am willing to accept this answer, if....someone can explain to me what a "fresh air door" is (plastic? I assume)....how it could have simply "broken" inside the dash to the point that it's "laying down blocking the air flow," when the car has never been wreched or suffered a strong bump, and why the maxA/C setting is affected, when that setting uses recyled air, not fresh air?
Expert:  lostrider replied 6 years ago.
Thats not a problem , the fresh air door sits on top of the heater case and over the blower, when the A/C is on max, it closes the door and allows the inside air to be recirculated, when in A/C, the door is open allowing the outside air in.the door is encased in its own housing that is bolted to the heater case, the door is plastic, how and why they are breaking, we dont know, we believe its got something to do with the materials, but we dont know., here is a bad diagram of the heater case, look at c-4-5 and the thing that looks like HHHHHHH, thats the fresh air door housing.
lostrider, Ford Technician
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK. That answer makes sense, although I'm not happy with the expense of fixing the problem. However, that is not your doing. So, I accept the answer and will be glad to pay for it. Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: I prefer a second opinion.
The answer I got was accepted, but I would like a second opinion.
Expert:  lostrider replied 6 years ago.
thats not a problem.
Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.

Sorry I agree with lostrider, the air inlet or recirc doors do like to break on this model. [obviously a poor design] Actually I have ran into another door that breaks, [either the floor or panel door] this is probably what is going on with your weak air flow problem. It is actually located in the dash and I can not find any pictures of it..

If you have under 75K on your truck, definately contact ford for repair assistance, they will help you out.

Ford Motor Co
Customer Relationship Center
PO Box 6248
Dearborn, MI 48121
1-800-392-3673 [FORD]
www.customeraskford.com

Open glove box and look under dash to see if any of the vacuum motors are moving and the end they are connected to is broke off.

graphic

graphic

Glenn, Senior Master Ford Tech
Experience: 26 years exp with Ford Products, ASE Master Auto & Truck + advanced engine perf L1/L2 Gas & Diesel