Jerry, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic with over 30 years experience with N.Y.P.D. fleet service division
1699649

What is the life expectancy of a Ford Expedition transmissio

I have a 1999 Ford Expedition with 98,000 miles on the clock. Last month I noticed that the transmission is starting to slip. It is not leaking any fluid. If I get the transmission overhauled/repaired what is the average cost? (ballpark)
Any adivce you could offer would be appreciated.
HelloCustomer 98k is a little early for a transmission failure, they usually go to 150k, although a lot depends on the kind of use the truck has had,and if the transmission was ever serviced. You could have it scanned to see if any codes are stored in the vehicles computer that are related to the transmission. If it were my vehicle, I would drop the pan and replace the fluid and filter, this would also let you see if the pan is full of clutch material, indicating the unit is burnt and in need of an overhaul.. It is worth the gamble,to spend approx $200.00 for the service as I have seen it help . The cost for a transmission would be between 2300 to 3000 .