Ms. Wrench
Ms. Wrench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech, Engine Performance & Diganostic Specialist, Alternative Fuel Expert
9964578

Replacing upper and lower ball joints on ford f250 4x4 ...

Customer Question

Replacing upper and lower ball joints on ford f250 4x4 year 1999. Have brake assembly off Hub off and trying to get axel out. Not sure how to get the seals out which I think is the reason I can not get the axel to slide out so I can remove the old ball joints and install the new ones. Also is there a place online that I might find an exploded view of differential?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ms. Wrench replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

Is that a super duty? I'll send you what you need.

Ms Wrench

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Ms. Wrench's Post: Its is a super duty. I have figured out how and removed the axle. Is it nessesary to mark anything as far as tire alignment for installing the new ball joints if you plan on having it aligned once the new ball joints are installed? Next problem I might encounter is putting the new seals back on the drive axle shafts.

Wheel Hub

Removal

All vehicles

1. Remove the front brake disc. For additional information, refer to Section 206-03.
  1. Remove the hub lock.
    1. Remove the retainer ring.
    1. Pull outward and remove the hub lock.
  1. Remove the axle shaft thrust washers.
    1. Remove the snap ring.
    1. Remove the three thrust washers.

Vehicles equipped with ABS

1. CAUTION: Do not remove the ABS sensor from the bearing.

Disconnect the ABS wheel sensor harness.
    1. Disconnect the connector.
    1. Disconnect the harness routing clips.

All vehicles

1. NOTE: The wheel hub and bearing is a slip fit design and should not require a puller to remove it.

Remove the wheel hub and bearing.
    1. Remove the four lock nuts.
    1. Remove the wheel hub and bearing.
  1. Remove the brake disc shield.

Vehicles with ABS

1. Remove the bolt and the ABS sensor.

All vehicles

1. NOTE: Position the hub in a soft-jawed vise.

Install two nuts on the studs and use the inner nut to remove the studs.
  1. Remove and discard the O-ring.

Installation

All vehicles

1. NOTE: Any time the wheel hub is removed for any reason, a new O-ring seal must be installed. Failure to do so can cause a vacuum leak and loss of four wheel drive operations.

Install a new O-ring.

Install two nuts on the studs and use the outer nut to install the studs.

Vehicles equipped with ABS

1. Position the ABS sensor and install the bolt.

All vehicles

1. Position the brake disc shield.
  1. NOTE: Apply a coat of Ford High Temperature 4x4 Front Axle and Wheel Bearing Grease E8TZ-19590-A meeting Ford specification ESA-M1C198-A to the O-ring area of the wheel hub and bearing before installing the hub and bearing.

Install the wheel hub and bearing.
    1. Position the wheel hub and bearing.
    1. Install the four lock nuts.

Vehicle equipped with ABS

1. NOTE: The following step applies only to vehicles equipped with ABS.

Connect the ABS sensor harness.
    1. Position the ABS sensor harness and install the routing clips.
    1. Connect the harness connector.

All vehicles

1. CAUTION: The non-metallic thrust washer must be installed between the two metal thrust washers. Failure to do so will cause severe wear to the non-metallic thrust washer, allowing the axle shaft to travel further in and out during torque thrust causing damage to the wheel hub and bearing, the axle shaft end seal and the axle shaft.

Install the snap ring.
    1. Position the three thrust washers onto the axle shaft.
    1. Install the snap ring.
  1. NOTE: Any time the hub lock is removed, a new O-ring seal must be installed. Failure to do so can cause a vacuum leak and loss of four wheel drive functions.

Install a new O-ring.
  1. Install the hub lock.
    1. Position the hub lock.
    1. Install the retainer ring.
  1. Install the brake disc. For additional information, refer to Section 206-03.
  1. Perform the wheel-end vacuum leak test. For additional information, refer to Section 308-07A.

Wheel Knuckle

Special Tool(s)
Steering Arm Remover
211-003 (T64P-3590-F)
Driver
205-199 (T83T-3132-A1)
Knuckle Seal Installer
205-429

Removal

1. Raise and support the vehicle. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02.
  1. Remove the wheel and tire assembly. For additional information, refer to Section 204-04.
  1. Remove the wheel hub and bearing. For additional information, refer to Wheel Hub in this section.
  1. Using a drift, drive the axle shaft main seal out of the wheel knuckle.
  1. Remove the axle shaft and main seal.
  1. Remove the tie-rod end castellated nut.
    1. Remove the cotter pin.
    1. Remove the castellated nut.
  1. Using the special tool, disconnect the tie-rod end from the wheel knuckle.
  1. Remove the upper ball joint castellated nut and the insert.
    1. Remove the cotter pin.
    1. Remove the nut.
    1. Remove the insert.
  1. Remove the wheel knuckle.
    1. Remove the lower ball joint nut.
    1. Remove the knuckle.
  1. Clean and inspect the wheel knuckle ball joint bores.

Installation

1. Position the wheel knuckle onto the axle housing.
  1. Install the nut onto the lower ball joint. Do not tighten the nut at this time.
  1. Install the insert and the castellated nut onto the upper ball joint. Do not tighten the nut at this time.
  1. Tighten the lower ball joint retaining nut. Pre-tighten the nut to 47 Nm (35 lb-ft).
  1. NOTE: Do not loosen the castellated nut to install the cotter pin.

Install the cotter pin into the upper ball joint.
    1. Tighten the upper ball joint castellated nut.
    1. Install the cotter pin. If necessary, tighten the castellated nut until the cotter pin can be installed.
  1. Tighten the lower ball joint nut to 204 Nm (150 lb-ft).
  1. Install the tie-rod end onto the wheel knuckle.
    1. Position the tie-rod end into the wheel knuckle.
    1. Install and tighten the castellated nut.
    1. Install the cotter pin.
  1. Install the new main seal onto the axle shaft.
    1. Position the main seal onto the axle shaft.
    1. Using the special tools and a hammer, seat the main seal onto the axle shaft.
  1. Position the axle shaft into the axle housing.
  1. Using the special tools and a hammer, install the main seal into the wheel knuckle.
  1. Install the wheel hub and bearing. For additional information, refer to Wheel Hub in this section.
  1. Install the front brake disc. For additional information, refer to Section 206-03.
  1. Install the wheel and tire assembly. For additional information, refer to Section 204-04.

Ball Joint-Upper

Removal

1. Remove the wheel knuckle. For additional information, refer to Wheel Knuckle in this section.
  1. Place the wheel knuckle into a suitable vise.
  1. NOTE: Always remove the lower ball joint first.

Remove the lower ball joint. For additional information, refer to Ball Joint-Lower in this section.
  1. Using a suitable ball joint press, remove the ball joint.

Installation

1. Clean the wheel knuckle ball joint bores.
  1. Using a suitable ball joint press, install the ball joint.
  1. Install the lower ball joint. For additional information, refer to Ball Joint-Lower in this section.
  1. Install the wheel knuckle. For additional information, refer to Wheel Knuckle in this section.

Ball Joint-Lower

Removal

1. Remove the snap ring.

Installation

1. Clean the wheel knuckle ball joint bore.
  1. Install the snap ring.