Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

ford focus: brake lights not work..Bulbs are good, fuses are good.

why would the brake lights not work on my ford focus? Bulbs are good, fuses are good.

Hello, I'm Chris, a current Ford Lincoln Mercury employee.

Thanks for coming to our website Just Answer. I will do my best to help you resolve your concerns. I try my hardest to respond in a timely matter and I will respond to any reply anytime I am online. If you choose to reply after an answer is posted to say Thanks. Please include "I accept the answer" in your text

• What year?
  • Does the 3rd brake light work?
  • Do the rear turn signals work?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
2000 Ford Focus, yes the third light still works and the rear turn signals work also
OK this means the brake switch is good and the signal is getting out. The the multifunction turn signal switch uses the rear brake light bulbs for brake lights and turn signals so this also means the signal is capable of getting to the rear. The cause is a wire concern at the M switch connector or a bad M switch. You will need to remov ethe upper and lower steering column shrouds to check the wires and or replace the switch. The lower brake lights must first run through the M switch before they will run out t othe rear.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
where would the m switch be located on the steering column
It is the handle which hangs out the left side of the steering column