AlvinC
AlvinC, Ford Technician
Experience:  With Ford 20+years as Dealership Technician Ford Senior Master Technician Gas and Diesel
10384837

2000 Ford Focus ZX3: light stays..blow..blower..off and no cold air

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Ford Focus ZX3. The A/C light stays on for settings 1 and 2, but does not blow. The blower comes on for setting 3 and 4 with but the A/C light turns off and no cold air. A/C relay bad?
Category: Ford
Expert:  AlvinC replied 8 years ago.

Squire51, I have read your question and refered to the the climate control wiring diagram for the 2000 Focus. By the diagram it appears you have an open circuit in the low speed resistor of your blower resistor block. Follow these pinpoint test and it should direct you to the proper repair. I can not perform these test without the vehicle,but they are pretty straight forward and should help. If so please accept my answer and leave positve feedback .If not let me know and we will continue to work together to achieve the proper answer. Thanks,Al

PINPOINT TEST A: THE HEATER BLOWER MOTOR IS INOPERATIVE/DOES NOT OPERATE CORRECTLY
CONDITIONSDETAILS/RESULTS/ACTIONS
A1 CHECK THE HEATER BLOWER MOTOR AT ALL SPEED SETTINGS

Operate the heater blower motor in all switch positions.

• Is the heater blower motor inoperative on all the speeds settings?
Yes GO to A2.
No GO to A8.
A2 CHECK FUSE F64

Fuse F64 (BJB)

• Is the fuse OK?
Yes GO to A3.
No INSTALL a new fuse F64 (40 A). TEST the system for normal operation. If the fuse blows again, LOCATE and REPAIR the short to ground using the wiring diagrams. TEST the system for normal operation.
A3 CHECK THE VOLTAGE AT FUSE F64

fuse F64 (BJB)

Measure the voltage between Fuse F64, (40 A), harness side and ground.

• Is battery voltage indicated?
Yes GO to A4.
No REPAIR the power supply of fuse F64 using the wiring diagrams. TEST the system for normal operation.
A4 CHECK THE VOLTAGE AT HEATER BLOWER MOTOR

connector C789 of heater blower motor

Measure the voltage between heater blower motor, connector C789, pin 1, circuit 15-FA18 (GN/OG), harness side and ground.

• Is battery voltage indicated?
Yes GO to A5.
No REPAIR circuit between heater blower motor and fuse F64 using the wiring diagrams. TEST the system for normal operation.
A5 CHECK THE HEATER BLOWER MOTOR GROUND CIRCUIT

Turn the heater blower switch to maximum speed.

Measure the resistance between heater blower motor, connector C789, pin 2, circuit 31S-FA18 (BK/RD), wiring harness side and ground.

• Is the resistance less than 2 ohms?
Yes INSTALL a new heater blower motor. TEST the system for normal operation.
No GO to A6.
A6 CHECK THE CIRCUIT BETWEEN THE HEATER BLOWER MOTOR AND THE HEATER BLOWER SWITCH FOR OPEN

connector C469 of heater blower switch

Measure the resistance between heater blower motor, connector C789, pin 2, circuit 31S-FA18 (BK/RD), harness side and heater blower switch, connector C469, pin 6, circuit 31S-FA33 (BK/OG), harness side.

• Is the resistance less than 2 ohms?
Yes GO to A7.
No REPAIR circuit 31S-FA18 (BK/RD) between heater blower motor and splice S24 using the wiring diagrams. TEST the system for normal operation.
A7 CHECK THE HEATER BLOWER SWITCH GROUND CIRCUIT

Measure the resistance between heater blower switch, connector C469, pin 2, circuit 31-FA25 (BK), harness side and ground.

• Is the resistance less than 2 ohms?
Yes INSTALL a new heater blower switch. TEST the system for normal operation.
No REPAIR circuit between heater blower switch and ground connection G14 using the wiring diagrams. TEST the system for normal operation.
A8 CHECK THE HEATER BLOWER MOTOR AT MAXIMUM SPEED

• Does the heater blower motor operate correctly?
Yes GO to A10.
No GO to A9.
A9 CHECK THE CIRCUIT BETWEEN THE HEATER BLOWER MOTOR AND THE HEATER BLOWER SWITCH FOR OPEN

connector C469 of heater blower switch

connector C789 of heater blower motor

• Is the resistance less than 2 ohms?
No REPAIR circuit 31S-FA33 (BK/OG) between splice S24 and heater blower switch using the wiring diagrams. TEST the system for normal operation.
A10 CHECK THE HEATER BLOWER SWITCH

connector C469 of heater blower switch

Measure the voltage between heater blower switch, connector C469, pin 5, circuit 31S-FA32 (BK/BU), harness side and ground.
Measure the voltage between heater blower switch, connector C469, pin 3, circuit 31S-FA31 (BK/YE), harness side and ground.
Measure the voltage between heater blower switch, connector C469, pin 1, circuit 31S-FA30 (BK/WH), harness side and ground.

• Is battery voltage indicated in all measurements?
No GO to A11.
A11 CHECK THE VOLTAGE AT THE HEATER BLOWER SERIES RESISTOR

connector C470 of heater blower series resistor

Measure the voltage between heater blower series resistor, connector C470, pin 1, circuit 31S-FA33 (BK/OG), harness side and ground.

• Is battery voltage indicated?
Yes GO to A12.
No REPAIR circuit between splice S24 and heater blower series resistor using the wiring diagrams. TEST the system for normal operation.
A12 CHECK THE CIRCUIT BETWEEN THE HEATER BLOWER SERIES RESISTOR AND THE HEATER BLOWER SWITCH FOR OPEN - HIGH SPEED

Measure the resistance between heater blower series resistor, connector C470, pin 4, circuit 31S-FA32 (BK/BU), harness side and heater blower switch, connector C469, pin 5, circuit 31S-FA32 (BK/BU), harness side.

• Is the resistance less than 2 ohms?
Yes GO to A13.
No REPAIR circuit 31S-FA32 (BK/BU) between heater blower series resistor and the heater blower switch using the wiring diagrams. TEST the system for normal operation.
A13 CHECK THE CIRCUIT BETWEEN THE HEATER BLOWER SERIES RESISTOR AND THE HEATER BLOWER SWITCH FOR OPEN - MEDIUM SPEED

Measure the resistance between heater blower series resistor, connector C470, pin 2, circuit 31S-FA31 (BK/YE), harness side and heater blower switch, connector C469, pin 3, circuit 31S-FA31 (BK/YE), harness side.

• Is the resistance less than 2 ohms?
Yes GO to A14.
No REPAIR circuit 31S-FA31 (BK/YE) between heater blower series resistor and heater blower switch using the wiring diagrams. TEST the system for normal operation.
A14 CHECK THE CIRCUIT BETWEEN THE HEATER BLOWER SERIES RESISTOR AND THE HEATER BLOWER SWITCH FOR OPEN - LOW SPEED

Measure the resistance between heater blower series resistor, connector C470, pin 3, circuit 31S-FA30 (BK/WH), harness side and heater blower switch, connector C469, pin 1, circuit 31S-FA30 (BK/WH), harness side.

• Is the resistance less than 2 ohms?
Yes INSTALL a new heater blower series resistor. TEST the system for normal operation.
No REPAIR circuit 31S-FA30 (BK/WH) between heater blower series resistor and heater blower switch using the wiring diagrams. TEST the system for normal operation.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to AlvinC's Post: Alvin,

Thanks for the reply! One quick issue. I cannot view any of the images.
Expert:  AlvinC replied 8 years ago.
Squire51, I see that I screwed up pasting them. I will correct asap, Al
Expert:  AlvinC replied 8 years ago.
FORD:2000-2003 FOCUS

ISSUE:

Some 2000-2003 Focus vehicles may exhibit water in the Climate Control Heater Blower Motor Case, which can be associated with an inoperable heater blower motor resistor, blower motor, or a blown blower motor fuse.

ACTION:

Inspect and seal the cowl area for water leaks when servicing a blower motor resistor, blower motor, or a blown blower motor fuse. Refer to the following Service Procedure.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Perform Workshop Manual Section 412-00: Climate Control System - General Information, Diagnosis And Testing, Climate Control System, Blower Motor Inoperative Pinpoint Tests.
    1. If the blower motor RESISTOR is determined to be inoperable, then replace the blower motor resistor and the blower motor assembly. Proceed to Step 2.
    2. If the BLOWER MOTOR is determined to be inoperable or the blower motor fuse is blown, then replace the blower motor assembly. Proceed to Step 2.
  2. Inspect for water leaks into the fresh air inlet.
    1. For vehicles built before 01/02/2003, inspect for visible gaps between the windshield and the cowl grille (Figure 1). If gaps are present remove and replace the cowl grille, (1S4Z-5402228-CA) per Workshop Manual Section 501-02.
    2. Remove cowl panel, inspect for gaps between pollen filter housing gasket and sheet metal plenum. If present, inspect for studs bent or off center. If off center, use a drill to slot the housing (Figure 2).
    3. Inspect for bent plenum sheet metal flanges, repair as necessary.
    4. Inspect Pollen Filter Housing gasket for damage. If damaged, replace Pollen filter housing (YS4Z-19N619-EA).
    5. If no water leaks are found, then install a Pollen Filter (XS4Z-19N619-AA).

PART NUMBERPART NAME
YS4Z-19805-ABBlower Motor
YS4Z-18591-AABlower Resistor
XS4Z-19N619-AAPollen Filter
1S4Z-5402228-CACowl Grille
YS4Z-19N619-EAPollen Filter Housing

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:

02-25-1

WARRANTY STATUS:

Information Only

Figure 1 - Article 03-18-2

Expert:  AlvinC replied 8 years ago.
Squire51, Is this any better? This an actual service bulletin that would address your concern. I found this after looking up the wiring diagram. Al
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to AlvinC's Post: Al,

How can I get to your updated answer?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to AlvinC's Post: Al,

Yes, thanks! I will accept now and give positive feedback. Thank you for answering me!
Expert:  AlvinC replied 8 years ago.
Squire51, I am doing something wrong pasting info. When you scroll down you should see the service bulletin. It is showing here. Disregard the 2 images they not really needed. Are you able to view the bulletin? Al