HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European

2001 ford Ranger: 4WD...locking..4WD is not engaged

I have a 2001 ford Ranger which has turn knob 4WD. When the knob is turned there is no locking noise, the light on the dash does not come on, and 4WD is not engaged. Nothing in 4HI or 4LO. I'd like to get the 4WD back.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 years ago.
Ok when you start the truck do the 4x4 lights come on and test out like the check enginelight and other lamps?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to HDGENE's Post: no the lights don't show up at all
Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 years ago.
If the lights dont prove out when turning the key to on and starting the vehicle and you checked the fuses, you may have a problem with a control relay or module. A diagnostic check for codes of the GEM module would need to be done to test the circuitry and operation. Most auto parts stores can only pull engine codes. The GEM module requires use of a more high tech scan tool. You may need to bring this to a shop or drivetrain/trans shop to be checked further.Main things that go bad with the system are the transfer case shift motor but you should still have the lights prove out.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
So is there something I can do myself or is this problem going to require that I go to a shop.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 years ago.
As long as all fuses in both the underhood and interior fuse panel check ok then you would need to let a shop look into the system further to be diagnosed properly. SInce it is controlled by a module they need to verify the module is operating correctly.