chris
chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience
9504203

Headlights wont turn off unless I

Customer Question

Headlights won''t turn off unless I disconnect battery. also lost taillights.
Category: Ford
Expert:  chris replied 6 years ago.

Hi there

Need some info --year ,make model

Chris

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
2001 ford f150 5.4l auto 4x4 xlt
Expert:  chris replied 6 years ago.

Ok - now that I know what type of Ford we are working on ,,have two more questions ,,,do you have auto headlamps????,,and you also said you lost tail lamps?,,,are you saying you lost the parking lamps,,,,you know, the lights that come on with the first position of the headlamp switch ----or do the parking lamps work in the front but nothing works in the rear,,,no parking,no brake,no turn signal,,no reverse

Chris

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No auto headlamps. the parking lamps do not work in the rear or the trailer plug in the rear. the turn and brake lights are working. I removed the headlight switch from the harness and the lights remained on. Until I disconnected the battery. when I reconnected the battery, the lights did not come on.
Expert:  chris replied 6 years ago.

OK- I was banking on you had auto headlamps---but no auto lamps---this is weird---and you removed the headlamp switch and they stayed on still----Ok-- is this a Canadian built truck that has daytime running lamps ,,in Canada you have to have your headlamps on all the time ,so Ford put a day time running lamp moduale in the trunk,,,if not sure the white door sticker will have the Canadian leaf on it ----also since this is so weird do you have any after market systems on your truck,alarm,radio,,etc----and is there a back story to this ---like-( I was driving my trunk through a lake when all of a sudden-)

Chris

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Chris
no daytime running lights. I believe it was built in canada. I had the vehicle at a ford garage last summer for three days and they said the problem went away and they did not change any parts.
I thought relay or multi function switch?

No to aftermarket accs.
Thanks
Expert:  chris replied 6 years ago.

Well if it was built in Canada and it has the leaf on the sticker it will have day time running lamps ---and maybe this is the cause of the problem --it might be faulty--working when it wonts to-----I have sent pics of the system and where the relays for this are located -you could have a sticking relay --on top of the passenger side of the dash there is that big oval cover ---this pops off and there is a box under there with relays ---if this happens again ,,remove the relays and see if this shuts them off ,,if so I would replace them ---as for the rear parking lamps in the rear not working ,,,the front parking lamps work off the same wireing and fuse ,,, so my question is does the license plate lamps work ,,if they do ,,,then you have rear bulbs out for the rear parking lamps or a loose conection on the brown wire to the rear parking lamps ,,most likely check the left side of the bumper under the truck ---as for the trailer lamp wireing not working ,that has a seperate fuse --check this fuse #5 in the engine compartment fuse box , remove it and see if its burnt out ---have sent pics of wireing for it and fuse box

Chris

graphicgraphicgraphicgraphic
chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks Chris, I am at work now, I will check it out this evening. However, I do not have daytime running lights unless they were disabled when the truck was new. I am the original owner.
Expert:  chris replied 6 years ago.

Well I could be wrong --but lets start here---when, or if you find this relay box --check the wireing going to the relay box for common wires off the wireing diagram so you know its the proper relay box ---again we can go back and fourth on this , so I will talk to you tomorrow

Chris

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Chris,
I turned the headlight switch to park. The headlights came on no parking lights front or rear. and no licence plate light. Could not turn off with switch. pulled relay above glove box and they went off. re-installed same relay and lights remained off.
Same result when headlight switch was turned to headlight position.
The label on the truck door says Mfd by Ford motor co of canada but no red maple leaf.
Expert:  chris replied 6 years ago.

well if you removed the relay and lights went off and then put the relay back in and the light stayed off --I would say that relay was sticking -----as for the rear parking lamps not working ---we have to concentrate on the BROWN wire to the rear lamps,,lets go to the rear bumper and find conector 403--look at pics ---with the parking lamps on ,use a test lamp and check the BROWN wire for power --if no power there we will move to another conector toward the front --tell me what you get

Chris

graphicgraphicgraphicgraphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Are you thinking I have two unrelated problems?

I will try and pickup a relay on the way home.I will not be able to check for power at the brown wire until after work. When this happened before, I had no power there. and, the front parking lights are also not working.
Expert:  chris replied 6 years ago.

Ok -guess I did not read your reply correctly----I thought in the beginning you had front parking lamps but not rear --But ok --no parking lamps at all---ok ---as you can see from the new pic I have sent the #6 fuse in the engine compartment fuse box powers up the parking lamps--check this fuse --if ok --then go to the headlamp switch and check power at the TAN / WHITE wire ---if this ok --turn on the parking lamps--see if there is power at the BROWN wire at the headlamp switch ---tell me what you get ----and Yes I think you have two problems

Chris

graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
O.K. However, Both promlems started at the same time, went away at the same time, and then returned at the same time again------- about 10 months later.

I only use the truck to tow a boat in the summer months, Upstate NY.
Expert:  chris replied 6 years ago.

Well its hard to diag an intermediant problem ---but if the parking lamp are inop right now ---maybe if we diag this problem we will run into the other and repaire both

Chris

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks I will try the suggestions after work and be in touch with any further info.
Expert:  chris replied 6 years ago.

Ok

Chris

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Chris,
I replaced the headlight relay above the glove box and replaced the 15 amp fuse #6. It seemed to do the trick. Everything is in working order.
Thanks for you help!
Expert:  chris replied 6 years ago.

Thats great!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris