Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

my 98 expedition is stuck in 4x4 low range any help

was at a stop changed into 4x4 went to far into low range without being in neut.

Hello, I'm Chris, a current Ford Lincoln Mercury employee.

Thanks for coming to our website Just Answer. I will do my best to help you resolve your concerns. I try my hardest to respond in a timely matter and I will respond to any reply anytime I am online. If you choose to reply after an answer is posted to say Thanks. Please include "I accept the answer" in your text

• Tell me exactly what steps your doing to go back to 4 high from 4 low?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
what happened was i just got it monday teusday iwastrying 4wheel and stopped to change but went to far i was stopped but not in neut. then went back out

Try this and tell me the results if unsuccessful.

PLace the switch in 4 low and drive straight 10 feet. Now come to a stop and go to neutral and hold your foot on the brakes. Now shift to 4 high and wait. The dash should indicate 4 high and you should hear it shift.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
that didn't work i waited app. 10 min there is no indcater light showing at all
So the instrument cluster is not showing 4 high or 4 low but you are stuck in 4 low?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes when you first start it all lighs light up but you can tell is in 4low
Once started and running do the 4x4 indicator lights go back out or do they stay on, if they stay on are both high and low staying on?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
they go back out. im lost i just got this my first 4x4 ive owned

OK try this. Start the vehicle and leave the 4x4 shifter in the lowest setting being 2wd or AWD. Now shift it to 4 high while in neutral and your foot on the brake, Does it indicate 4 high on the dash. If so go to 4 low and see if it indicates. If it does then try to go back out as previously stated.

If this fails then you will need to remove the shift motor from the transfer case and manually turn the transfer case shift lever to get out of low. Once out of low and the shift motor hanging you need to have someone work the switch inside the vehicle while in neutral and there foot on the brake. When they do this see if the shifter motor will move back and forth. If it does then install it on the transfer case while in 2wd since the transfer case has been manually shifted to 2wd. If it fails again or the motor does not move then a new shift motor is needed.

There is a slim possible concern that you damaged the shift fork or selector shaft inside the transfer case when you accidentally when to low. When manually shifting the transfer case have someone in the vehicle to apply the brakes or help roll the vehicle. You may need to roll the vehicle slightly to complete the shift and have them hold the brakes if needed since you can accidentally go to neutral in the transfer case allowing the vehicle to roll over you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am going accept this one. Is there anyway to get in touch with you tomorrow or in the future with more questions? I won't get to try this until tomorrow. I greatly appreciate all your help. Thank you
I will be online all day tommorrow to check any replies you have if needed. In the future if you want to request me just click on my name and it will direct the question to me or you can simply write in your next post. I want CHRIS-MOOSE to be the expert to answer this.