lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.
9493671

The brake-shift interlock is preventing shift into gear.

Customer Question

2006 Expedition, 25k miles, Can''t shift into gear, except with the override button. Brakes are fine, brake lights are fine, fuse 27 is fine, there is no relay switch in 5. Any other ideas?
Category: Ford
Expert:  lostrider replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomerand thank you for your question, does your truck have a floor shifter or a coloum shifter?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Column shifter
Expert:  lostrider replied 6 years ago.
here is the pinpoint test for the shifter interlock not operating properly, also the replacement procedure hope this helps.
PINPOINT TEST A: THE SHIFT INTERLOCK SYSTEM DOES NOT RELEASE/LOCK CORRECTLY
Test StepResult / Action to Take
A1 TEST FUSE F1.5 (7.5A)
  • Check fuse: Fuse F1.5 (7.5A).
  • Measure the resistance of fuse F1.5.
  • Is the resistance 5 ohms or less?
Yes
GO to A2.

No
GO to A3.
A2 CHECK CIRCUIT 810 (RD/LG) FOR VOLTAGE
  • Disconnect: Shift Lock Actuator C2008.
  • Measure the voltage of circuit 810 (RD/LG), shift lock actuator C2008-2 while applying the brake pedal.
    graphic
  • Is the voltage greater than 10 volts?
Yes
GO to A8.

No
GO to A4.
A3 TEST CIRCUIT 729 (RD/WH) FOR A SHORT TO GROUND
  • Disconnect: Brake Pedal Position Switch C278.
  • Measure the resistance of circuit 729 (RD/WH) at brake pedal position switch C278-5.
    graphic
  • Is the resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?
Yes
GO to A6.

No
SERVICE circuit 729 (RD/WH) for short to ground. TEST the system for normal operation.
A4 TEST CIRCUIT 729 (RD/WH) FOR AN OPEN
  • Measure the resistance between output side of fuse F1.5 (7.5A) and brake pedal position switch C278-5, circuit 729 (RD/WH).
    graphic
  • Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?
Yes
GO to A5.

No
SERVICE circuit 729 (RD/WH) for open. RETEST the system.
A5 TEST THE BRAKE PEDAL POSITION SWITCH
  • Measure the resistance of brake pedal position switch C278 while open (OFF) and closed (ON).
    graphic
  • Is the resistance of the switch greater than 10,000 ohms while OFF and 5 ohms or less while ON?
Yes
GO to A7.

No
INSTALL a new brake pedal position switch. TEST the system for normal operation.
A6 CHECK CIRCUIT 810 (RD/LG) FOR A SHORT TO GROUND
  • Measure the resistance of circuit 810 (RD/LG), shift lock actuator C2008-2.
    graphic
Yes
INSTALL a new shift lock actuator. TEST the system for normal operation.

No
SERVICE circuit 810 (RD/LG) for short to ground. TEST the system for normal operation.
A7 CHECK CIRCUIT 810 (RD/LG) FOR AN OPEN
  • Measure the resistance of circuit 810 (RD/LG) between shift lock actuator C2008-2 and brake pedal position switch C278-6.
    graphic
  • Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?
Yes

No
SERVICE circuit 810 (RD/LG) for open. TEST the system for normal operation.
A8 TEST FOR VOLTAGE ON CIRCUIT 1003 (GY/YE)
  • Measure voltage at shift lock actuator C2008-3, circuit 1003 (GY/YE).
    graphic
  • Is the voltage greater than 10 volts?
Yes
GO to A12.

No
GO to A9.
A9 TEST FUSE F1.27 (5A)
  • Check fuse: Fuse F1.27 (5A).
  • Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?
Yes
GO to A11.

No
GO to A10.
A10 TEST CIRCUIT 1003 (GY/YE) FOR A SHORT TO GROUND
  • Measure the resistance at shift lock actuator C2008-3, circuit 1003 (GY/YE).
    graphic
Yes

No
SERVICE circuit 1003 (GY/YE) for short to ground. TEST the system for normal operation.
A11 TEST CIRCUIT 1003 (GY/YE) FOR AN OPEN
  • Measure the resistance of circuit 1003 (GY/YE) between output the side of fuse F1.27 (5A) and shift lock actuator C2008-3.
    graphic
  • Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?
Yes
GO to A12.

No
SERVICE circuit 1003 (GY/YE) for open. TEST the system for normal operation.
A12 TEST CIRCUIT 57 (BK) FOR AN OPEN
  • Measure the resistance of shift lock actuator C2008-1, circuit 57 (BK).
    graphic
  • Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?
Yes

No
SERVICE circuit 57 (BK) for open. TEST the system for normal operation.

Brake Shift Interlock Actuator - Column Shift Printable View (416 KB)

graphic
ItemPart NumberDescription
1 W505772 Clockspring bracket bolts (3 required)
2 3678 Clockspring bracket
3 - Wiring harness retainer screws
4 14A099 Wiring harness retainer
5 - Electrical connector
6 N805911 Shift lock actuator screws
7 3F770 Shift lock actuator
8 3R826 Detent bracket bolts
9 7A216 Detent bracket

Removal and Installation

1. Remove the supplemental restraint system (SRS) steering column clockspring. For additional information, refer to Section 501-20B.
  1. Remove the 3 bolts and remove the clockspring mounting bracket from the steering column.
    • To install, tighten to 6 Nm (53 lb-in).
  1. graphicRemove the 3 screws and position the wiring harnesses aside.
  1. graphicDisconnect the interlock actuator electrical connector.
  1. graphicRemove the 2 screws and position the actuator aside.
  1. graphicRemove the 2 bolts and position the selector lever detent bracket aside.
  1. graphicRemove the shift lock actuator from the detent bracket and remove the shift lock actuator.
  1. graphicTo install, reverse the removal procedure.