Jaxer Smith
Jaxer Smith, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  17 Years Experience and presently own and operate an auto repair service center
4387830

2003 mustang mach 1: the piston compress..caliper..disconnecting

2003 mustang mach 1 Rear disc brakes, does the piston compress all the way into the bore, and why does the outside pad not seem to sit flat in the caliper? Plus is there a way to do this without disconnecting the emergency brake spring??
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jaxer Smith replied 6 years ago.

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer!

The piston requires a tool that will allow you to rotate the center as it screws in and out. You do not need to remove the park brake spring. Remove the two caliper bolts and rotate the caliper up and allow it to hang.

graphic

graphic
Rear
  1. Remove and discard 1/2 of the brake fluid from the brake master cylinder reservoir. Properly dispose of the used brake fluid.
  2. Safely raise and support the vehicle
  3. Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
  4. Remove the screw retaining the brake hose bracket to the shock absorber bracket.
  5. Remove the upper brake guide pin bolt .
  6. Rotate the disc brake caliper away from the brake rotor.
  7. Hang the disc brake caliper from the body with wire, do not let the disc brake caliper hang by the brake hose.
  8. Remove the inner and outer disc brake pads, hardware and the anti-rattle clip from the disc support bracket.
  9. Remove the caliper support bracket.
  10. Remove the rotor
  11. Inspect the disc brake rotor for scoring and wear. Replace or machine, as necessary.

To Install:

1. Install the rotor.
  2. Install the caliper support.
  3. Using Rear Caliper Piston Adjuster T87P-2588-A or other suitable tool, rotate the caliper piston clockwise until the piston is fully seated.

NOTE: Ensure that one of the 2 slots in the rear brake piston face is positioned so it will engage the nib on the back of the inner brake pad.

4. Install the disc brake pad anti-rattle clips and install the inner and outer disc brake pads and hardware on the rear disc support bracket.
  5. Rotate the disc brake caliper over the brake rotor into position on the disc support bracket. Make sure the disc brake pads and anti-rattle clips are correctly installed.
  6. Apply a suitable thread-locking compound to the threads of the upper brake guide pin bolt.
  7. Install the brake guide pin bolt and tighten to 25 ft. lbs. (33 Nm)
  8. Install the wheel and tire assembly. Torque the lug nuts in a star pattern to 95 ft. lbs. (128 Nm).
  9. Pump the brake pedal prior to moving the vehicle to position the brake pads.
  10. Lower the vehicle
  11. Fill the brake master cylinder reservoir with clean DOT 3 brake fluid from a closed container.
  12. If the disc brake calipers were replaced or repaired, be sure to bleed the system (See section on Brake Bleeding).
  13. Road test the vehicle and check the brake system for proper operation.
Jaxer Smith, Auto Mechanic
Experience: 17 Years Experience and presently own and operate an auto repair service center
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I can't seem to get the two pads to sit parallel to each other. Is this normal? Seems the rotor will be riding on the top half of the outside pad instead of on the whole thing. It seems that once you apply the brakes it will self adjust in the support frame. Any ideas on how to replace that emergency brake spring? Ya, stupid.... Thanks for all your help.

Make sure the new pads look just like the old pads. The pads should fit into the caliper mounting bracket securely and then you put the caliper over them. Make sure the springs on the pads get compressed when you put the caliper back on. A helpful hint is to put a lug nut on it to hold the rotor in place. The brake Spring you should not have removed, will require some vise grips and strength. Use safety protection when doing this.

graphic

Jaxer Smith, Auto Mechanic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So the pads get loaded into the support bracket, not the caliper as is my experience? That would make a bit of difference.....

That is correct. see the photos. They are of a 2003 mustang rear brakes that I did in my shop.

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic