lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.
9493671

How do I fix the odometer on my 1997 Ford Mustang

Odometer and trip odometer do not work but speedometer does--what could be the cause and how do I fix it?
Category: Ford
Expert:  lostrider replied 8 years ago.
With the speedo working, the speed sensor is doing it job, the trip and odometer are part of the speedo head assembly, there can only be 2 things wrong, the printed circuit board on the back of the instrument cluster assembly, or the speedo head its self, have yet to replace a circuit board, replaced a bunch of speedos, here are the pinpoint test to determine the problem.Hope this helps.graphicgraphicgraphicgraphic
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is it difficult to install the speedo head? Where is it located?
Expert:  lostrider replied 8 years ago.
It in the instrument cluster, here is the procedure.graphic

DISASSEMBLY
  1. Remove instrument panel lamp socket and bulb.
  2. Turn instrument cluster so instrument cluster main lens is upward. Remove retaining screws from instrument cluster main lens and instrument cluster mask and remove instrument cluster main lens and instrument cluster mask.
  3. Remove fuel/engine coolant temperature gauge assembly, oil pressure/voltmeter gauge assembly, speedometer/tachometer assembly.
  4. Remove and discard all snap-in connector cups.
  5. Push connector tab in and slide instrument cluster gauge amplifier/low coolant control module out.
  6. Remove instrument cluster printed circuit.

ASSEMBLY

1. Position the instrument cluster printed circuit over the locating pins and affix to locating pins in instrument cluster back plate.
  2. Position instrument cluster gauge amplifier/low coolant control module in guides, line up terminals over center of printed circuit connection and push instrument cluster gauge amplifier/low coolant control module until it clicks in place.
  3. Install instrument panel lamp socket and bulb.
  4. Install new snap-in connector clips.
  5. Install speedometer/tachometer, oil pressure/voltmeter gauge assembly and fuel/engine coolant temperature gauge assembly.
  6. Install instrument cluster mask, instrument cluster main lens and retaining screws