Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

99 expedition: grinding..Seems like its coming from the front end..awd

Customer Question

During acceleration my 99 expedtion makes a strange noise almost like a grinding or rumbling sound. Seems like its coming from the front end. My truck has awd I wonder if that could be the problem. Please Help!
Category: Ford
Expert:  Fix It Man replied 6 years ago.
HelloCustomer does the noise go away once your foot is taken off of the gas pedal?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Fix It Man's Post: It goes away when I decrease the presure on the gas pedal.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 6 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris, a current Ford Lincoln Mercury employee.

Thanks for coming to our website Just Answer. I will do my best to help you resolve your concerns. I try my hardest to respond in a timely matter and I will respond to any reply anytime I am online. If you choose to reply after an answer is posted to say Thanks. Please include "I accept the answer" in your text

• Is the lowest 4x4 setting AWD?
  • Does this concern only occur when accelerating from a stop with the steering wheel turned sharp?
  • Can you duplicate this taking off straight?
  • Does it only occur on hard to medium thottle ?
  • Any flashing or solid warning indicators coming on?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Lowest setting is awd.
No it does not occur whe I accelerate from a stop. It occurs when I'm in motion and then I go to accelerate to a medium to hard throttle. No there are no flasing or solid warning indicators.
Does this happen everytime you accelerrate at this same speed or are there any variations like with outside temp or if the vehicle is cold or warmed up?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It happens almost all the time.
Okay. There can be a few different possibilities here. You really need to make sure that the noise is not coming from the engine compartment and from under the front end. If it is coming from the engine you may have something as simple as a loose belt from a bad tensioner. If it is from the front end then it may be the front differential. I have changed the differential bearing on this vehicle for this type of noise.
Sounds like your experincing a concern with the transfer case engageing the electromagnetic clutch. You need a scan tool to watch clutch duty cycle on accel. If the clutch is engageing commanded from the rate of acceleration then this is normal. The cause though is the clutch is not locking in enough or to musch. The repairs aI have had to do for theis concern where a new electic clutch coil and new friction plates in the transfer case.
Did this resolve the issues with your 4x4