chris
chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience
9504203

1992 Ford F-150: you replace a steering column

Customer Question

How do you replace a steering column for a 1992 Ford F-150 Truck? ..do-it-yourselfer
Category: Ford
Expert:  chris replied 6 years ago.

Hi there

Why do you wont to replace it ---??????

Chris

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
A ball bearing broke off it and the steering wheel is loose. It needs to be pushed/pulled up to drive properly.
Expert:  chris replied 6 years ago.

Ok

you have to remove both upper and lower steering column covers--there should be three screws to remove ,,then remove the lower one ,, then turn the ignition tumbler into the run position and on the column ,on the bottom of the ignition tumbler hole there is a hole ,, use a pic and push up in it and remove the ignition tumbler ,, now you can remove the upper column cover,, remove the turn signal switch ,,, remove the lower dash bezel---if this an auto trans,, remove the shift indicator cable,,a small white cable under the column , in the center , held in by one bolt ---at the base of the column there are two or three connectors to disconect ----at the end of the steering column there is one bolt to remove off the steering shaft ,, remove it and the lower shaft will slide out--now if this a auto trans ,, you have to remove the shift cable ,,, pop off the shift cable eyelet ,,then where the shift cable mounts to the column it has a release tab to push in and then you can slide it off,,, now there is four 13 mm bolts to remove the column ---then slide it out ------any more info just ask --we can go back and fourth on this page ...

Chris

graphic
chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is this all the information I would need to complete the task of replacing the steering column. You see, my computer is at home and my car is at a different location.
Expert:  chris replied 6 years ago.

well it sounds like you are getting a junk yard steering column and putting it in -----then yes this is all you need to know-----I cant think of anything else ------You do not have a air bag ,right

Chris

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No it doesnt have an airbag. I couldnt find the part at a junkyard. Im going to have to go to the dealership.
Expert:  chris replied 6 years ago.

well all the parts are sold separately,,, not as a complete unit ,,,,,,,if the upper bearings are bad then they sell them on there own ---and thats a different story on how to do this

Chris

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK thankyou If I have any more ?s talk later.
Expert:  chris replied 6 years ago.

OK -- the real big problem with doing these is getting the snap ring back in place on the steering shaft --if you need help just ask

Chris