Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Ford.
2499435

What is the pinout of my 2005 Ford Focus XZ4 SES stereo

Customer Question

I have the 26 pin and wire cable for it, but I also have a 16 pin on the back of the stereo. I am trying to get my aux to work. Also I have a random cable that is 8 pin but no plugin for it. I have the indash 6 disc CD/mp3 stereo.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jaxer Smith replied 6 years ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer!

I have added a complete wiring diagram of all the wires involved with the radio below.

Stereo Wiring Diagram

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the wiring diagram but it still doesnt answer my question on what the 16-pin i have on the back of my stereo is for. I see i have the 8-pin which is for my Aux but I dont have a place to plug it into on my stereo. all i have is the 24-pin and 16-pin which i need the pinouts for.

If you look at the wiring diagram you will see the wires on the stereo listed by numbers. First set is 24 is split 16 and 8. If you are trying to hook up an aftermarket stereo I do not have schematics for that.

ItemWire ColorPolarityWire Location
12Vred+ignition harness
STARTERgray/black+ignition harness
IGNITIONgreen/yellow+ignition harness
ACCESSORYyellow+ignition harness
SECOND ACCESSORYnone
TACHOMETERblack/greenignition coil
POWER LOCKblack/red-drivers kick panel
POWER UNLOCKblack/yellow-drivers kick panel
PARKING LIGHTS +orange/yellowheadlight switch
PARKING LIGHTS -
DOOR TRIGGERblack/blue-low in drivers kick panel
HEADLIGHTSgrn/blu(L),grn/yel(H+steering column *3
WIPERSwhite/green+steering column
LF WINDOW UP/DNyellow - whiteAin drivers door at motor
RF WINDOW UP/DNyel/pur - wht/purAdrivers switch or kick panel
LR WINDOW UP/DNyel/blu - wht/bluAdrivers switch or kick panel
RR WINDOW UP/DNyellow - whiteAdrivers switch or kick panel
TRUNK/HATCH PINblack/white-trunk light
HOOD PINblack/yellow *4-keyless module *1
TRUNK/HATCH RELEASEblack/yellow-switch or keyless module *1
FACTORY ALARM ARM
FACTORY ALARM DISARM
HORN TRIGGERblack/blue-steering column
BRAKE WIRElt. green/red+brake switch *2
LOCK MOTORyellow/blackdrivers kick panel
UNLOCK MOTORwhite/blackdrivers kick panel
DISARM DEFEATwhite/blackpassengers kick panel
DISARM NO UNLOCK
DOME SUPERVISIONuse door trigger
SPEED SENSEwhite/greenradio
SUN ROOF OPEN/CLOSE
SUN ROOF LIMIT
LF SPEAKERwht/blk - gry/blkradio
RF SPEAKERwht/red - gry/redradio
LR SPEAKERwht/pur - gry/whtradio
RR SPEAKERwhite - grayradio
RADIO 12Vorange/black (thick)+radio
RADIO GROUNDblk/yel & blk/grn-radio
RADIO SWITCHyellow/green+radio
RADIO ILLUMINATEorange/black (thin)+radio
POWER ANTENNA
Notes:NOTE: This vehicle is equipped with a passive immobilizer that needs to be bypassed for remote start operation only. Use DEI part number 555S to bypass. *1 Keyless module is behind the glove box to the right. *2 To meter the brake wire, must turn ignition on. *3 Low beam at the headlight switch is green/red. *4 Only if equipped with factory alarm.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
okay, maybe I am not reading this right. I am looking at the diagram completely wrong. I see the numbers 1-24, which i totally get. I then see the 1-8 with the audio + and - and amp enable. I dont have an amp. so instead of the 8-pin there is a 16-pin. that is what i want to know. what is the seperate 16-pin on my OEM stereo, its the premium but not audiophile.
I am going to open this question up so one of the other techs can help as this is the only diagram i show for this ZX4.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks. i've looked everywhere and no one can give me a straight answer. ha. if you guys can help me out with this, it would be rockin
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 6 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris, a current Ford Lincoln Mercury employee.

Thanks for coming to our website Just Answer. I will do my best to help you resolve your concerns. I try my hardest to respond in a timely matter and I will respond to any reply anytime I am online. If you choose to reply after an answer is posted to say Thanks. Please include "I accept the answer" in your text

The other expert opted out. So lets see if I can assist you.

graphicgraphic

Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience: 16 years experience with Ford.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, seriously, Thanks for all the help. But you guys are giving me all the pinouts and wirings for everything BUT the 16-pin pinout on the back of my 2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SES OEM premium stereo. I have the 24-pin plug and pinouts, and the 8-pin plug and pinouts, but the one i need is the 16-pin pinout. Do you have the pinouts for the audiophile system? It might be on there? I know i dont have the audiophile system because i dont have the 8-pin male end onthe back of my stereo just the 24, and 16 pin.
None of the radios available in the 05 focus have a 8 pin connector.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
okay.... but i dont care about the 8 pin, people give me the pinout for that but I wanted to know the pinout of the 16-pin. That is all i am asking to see if i could get that pinout... the 16-Pin..

I am going to send you every wire diagram for all of the radios from ford for this vehicle. If you can compare the wire colors this may help. The previuos screen shots I sent should be the only connectors on your vehicle.

graphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
okay so i did some of my own research because still the diagrams provided did nothing. I found out that the 16-pin on the back of my stereo is for the Rear Seat Entertainment (RSE) opition which i dont have, but have the pins in the back of my stereo for. Now with that being said. Think you can find the pinouts for that?

The 05 focus and no other year focuses have offered RSE. Are you sure you have a focus radio in the vehicle now. This 8 pin connector should not even be there on this radio.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Well, I think some actually do because I have come across many sites that talk about it such as this one:

http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=frd04-aux

the only other thing i can think of is that it could be a Satellite hook up, but I dont have a "SAT" button.. just "AUX"

Here is a link to the front of an 05 HU exactly like i have: http://www.extremeaudiooutlet.com/catalog/ford%20cd-6%20mp3.JPG

Here is a link to the back of the same HU, which is exactly how mine looks except i dont have the wires to plug into the 16-pin.. just where to plug into on the back:

http://replacementradios.com/images/fordphase2plugs.jpg

So maybe this is something kind of rare, im not sure. thanx

Can you pull the part # XXXXX the radio and give me your vin#?

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
my vin is: 1FAFP34N45W155366

Stereo unit number: 4S4T-18C815-AG
Ok I checked the ford HVBOM and this is the original radio. I also checked your oasis for past repairs and there is a current recall on the vehcile for the rear latch. As for the radio ford shows no info for the 8 pin you ask about.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay...um... I am not asking for the 8 pin. I have said several times that i wanted the pinout of the 16-pin on the back of my stereo. NOT the 8. I need the 16-pin.
The only 2 connectors ford states which plug up to your radio have been provided. Lets try a differnt approach. What are you wanting to run off the auxillary button.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I want to plug an mp3 player like my ipod.
Most aftermarket radio installer buisness sell the wire harness which goes inline for your harness and allows for a auxillary hookup. Or you can use a FM modulator to run your ipod off of a radio frequency.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yeah i know about the harnesses and the aux. adapters i can buy. but the main reason I wanted the pinouts was to so I could build one. and actually hopefully build one that can run the ipod and display the text. I work with electronics and learning how to build stuff of that nature. If you can't find the pinouts its okay. I had a feeling it was gonna be really hard, since i have looked everywhere. If this is it, its cool. just let me know if this is all you can help with. i'll still pay ya. you've def. have put up alot with this issue. :)

Being that I work for ford as a tech I do have access to alot of info but the pinout to that connector is not available in the 05 focus.

I can suggest on last option which is to find a phone # XXXXX VISTEON which provides ford with the radios and repairs.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
well... thanks for all your help honestly. not sure why this can't be found for some reason. but i honestly do appreciate everything you have done to try and help. take care.

Your welcome