Steve S
Steve S, Ford Technician
Experience:  10 years in Ford Dealership, Certified in: Auto Trans, Diesel Engines, Climate Control, Electrical D

1988 Ford Ranger: Shifting problems..2WD..overdrive..liter

Shifting problems with A4LD transmission in a 1988 Ford Ranger 2WD, automatic with overdrive and 2.9 liter 6cyl engine
Category: Ford
Expert:  Steve S replied 6 years ago.
Hi there John is there specific concerns with a specific shift or gear? What does the fluid look like? Steve
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
last two gears. no filings in the fluid but it has dark mucky residue. and that is probably leading to the problem.
Expert:  Steve S replied 6 years ago.
Does it just not have the gears or does it slip into both? Steve
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I think it has the gears but slips in both. I removed the filter and blew compressed air in both openings and when I drove the vehicle again, it worked fine for about five minutes.
Expert:  Steve S replied 6 years ago.
You blew air into the filter holes? Anyways I think that you have some burnt clutch material internal to the trans. The way that you describe "mucky" stuff in the pan is most likely clutch material. You would have to remove the trans and inspect the friction plates. Probably a direct clutch giving the symptoms. Steve
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I once worked with a guy who became certified as an automatic transmission repairman without ever working on one. All he did was read some material to become certified.
this is a shifting problem, not a slippage problem. As I said before, when I tested it I put my foot to the floor and sped up to 60 mph with no problem. It worked fine for a few miles. The first two gears work fine. This is a common problem with this transmission.
Also, mechanics that do transmission work do not work on anything else. A dealership will refer one to a transmission shop
Thanks for trying.
Expert:  Steve S replied 6 years ago.
Ok John I think that it is still a direct clutch concern. Possible oring on the center support gone bad but you have a right to be skeptical. And I do know that I work at a dealer and any dealer around here would not sublet trans work. I have been trained hands on and tranny work never leaves the shop. But anyways thank you for using ja and when you do find concern let me know what it was if you want. Thank you Steve
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
you didn't fully answer my question. As I said the first two gears work fine. How could an o-ring on the center support affect only two gears.
Expert:  Steve S replied 6 years ago.
Because the direct clutch is applied in the 2 gears not the first two gears. Thanks Steve
Steve S, Ford Technician
Experience: 10 years in Ford Dealership, Certified in: Auto Trans, Diesel Engines, Climate Control, Electrical D