Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

2002 Ford Taurus: revs..PO304 cylinder 4 misfire the mechanics I

I have a 2002 Ford Taurus 3.0 DOHC 24v I am getting code PO316 misfire first 1000 revs and PO304 cylinder 4 misfire the mechanics I take it to have tried to diagnose it to no end and decided it needed a computer and reflashing which was done at the dealer and the problem still exists runs bad and frustating me and others please help!
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer.

Try this test and let me know what you come up with.

Swap positions of the #3 and #4 plug wires at the coil pack. Clear the codes, then see if the code that returns is still P0304, or changes to P0303. If the code changes to P0303, replace the coil pack. If the code remains a P0304, the coil pack is OK.

If the coil pack has been ruled out, swap the #4 injector to one of the other front cylinders, and see if the code follows the injector.

If the miss remains on #4 cylinder, do cranking and running compression tests.